The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A and B 250 Database Project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:42 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Gary, the horn is absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

The cabinet looks beautiful, too, but that horn!

A slider, connected to a rod, and then to a cable -- for the mute ball control? I wonder if this was typical?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:47 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
I forgot to thank you for such marvelous photographs! It seems rare to get such detail.

Thank you very much,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:50 pm 
Victor II
Gary
fran604g wrote:

Best,
Fran

That was my reaction when I saw it. :o The bottom of the horn looked mangy, but wiped right off. Check out the back. My other A-250 had chipped paint and I was expecting the same on this one. As soon as I saw it in person I knew she was coming home with me. :arrow: I can't wait to get the motor back together and get her running again.

Attachments:
2017-01-13 20.56.06.jpg
2017-01-13 20.56.06.jpg [ 5.19 MiB | Viewed 325 times ]
2017-01-13 20.55.52.jpg
2017-01-13 20.55.52.jpg [ 5.33 MiB | Viewed 325 times ]
2017-01-13 20.55.45.jpg
2017-01-13 20.55.45.jpg [ 3.61 MiB | Viewed 325 times ]
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm 
Victor II
Gary
fran604g wrote:
DGPros wrote:
Any idea how many machines on in this study :?:

Congratulations on another acquisition, and thank you for your data, Gary!

The dealer plate is really interesting, in that it's the first one I've seen on a Diamond Disc machine that included "Photograph" in the title. Very Cool! And the record duster sounds exciting. The "LG" "cartouche" must be the cabinet manufacturer's inspector's mark, I assume.

It seems that you found a very nice A 250. I'm more than a little jealous, as I don't own an A 250, but would love to at some point.

Your latest entry puts the count of A 250s that I've observed and recorded at 45 units; 9 of which I could not ascertain the serial numbers, but included any features I could discern.

The range of A 250 serial numbers in my spreadsheet runs from #161 to #14,444.

Incidentally, I have also recorded only 12 B 250s, whose serial numbers run from #457 through #4052.

I hope I have the opportunity to record many more of each.

Best,
Fran

Thank You for this info too :!:
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:12 am 
Victor V
fran604g wrote:

A slider, connected to a rod, and then to a cable -- for the mute ball control? I wonder if this was typical?

Best,
Fran

What strikes me as odd is that the horn support tube shows no evidence of a clamp having been attached for a mute arm.

The earliest mutes were operated by a vertical rod: later, the rod and slider were moved to a horizontal position, and attached to the bedplate. Both versions, as far as I know, used the flexible cable and arm.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 am 
Victor II
Gary
If you look close, there is a little paint chipping on the lower end of the rod due to the mute ball clamp. And yes, this is the early version mute ball with painted slider arm screwed in vertically.(I'm guessing put on at the factory and not an after market add on)
Frederic Bastiat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 am 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Lucius1958 wrote:
The earliest mutes were operated by a vertical rod: later, the rod and slider were moved to a horizontal position, and attached to the bedplate. Both versions, as far as I know, used the flexible cable and arm.

Bill

Thank you, Bill, for your explanation. I haven't seen a close up photo of the first type mute mechanism. I wonder if someone here might have such an image?

Best,
Fran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:36 pm 
Victor II
Gary
fran604g wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:

Bill

Thank you, Bill, for your explanation. I haven't seen a close up photo of the first type mute mechanism. I wonder if someone here might have such an image?

Best,
Fran

Here are 2 for now. I will try to get you some more when I have more time. You will see it connected to the front right side. There is a notch on the inner wood piece where the handle fits through. Basically a flat rod with a turn at the top. You can see it at a 45 angle front right.

Attachments:
20170115_142700.jpg
20170115_142700.jpg [ 5.66 MiB | Viewed 287 times ]
20170115_111909.jpg
20170115_111909.jpg [ 4.69 MiB | Viewed 287 times ]
Frederic Bastiat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm 
Victor VI
Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.
fran604g wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:

Bill

Best,
Fran

I think what Lucius describes is actually the second type. I believe this is the first type. turn the brass knob clockwise to mute, counter clockwise to unmute. No flexible cable, only bent metal rods hooked together.

Attachments:
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG [ 3.12 MiB | Viewed 281 times ]
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG [ 3.14 MiB | Viewed 281 times ]
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 281 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Valecnik wrote:
fran604g wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:

Bill

Best,
Fran

I think what Lucius describes is actually the second type. I believe this is the first type. turn the brass knob clockwise to mute, counter clockwise to unmute. No flexible cable, only bent metal rods hooked together.

I was hoping you'd chime in, Bruce. Thank you!

Best,
Fran

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next