Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

VV-XX on ebay... again

Post by brianu »

and the price is now $13k...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Victor-Victrola-Mod ... dZViewItem

I had one of these briefly, but sold it because the money was much needed during law school... I also never thought that much of it... aside from its rarity and, for that reason, its value, it didn't strike me as all that special - I've got a standard L-door in oak, and have had a couple of others in mahogany, and performance wise, storage wise, etc., they struck me as the same, but for 5 to 10 percent of the price - and far less gaudy as well (although I guess that's a stylistic preference).

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: VV-XX on ebay... again

Post by Zeppy »

I've always been torn on the whole "rarity" issue. Part of me would like one just because it is scarce, another part of me goes back to "it's a touch gaudy." On another note, I completely find the vernis martin ones ugly as sin....so there is a line a draw between rarity and butt ugly.

If I must spend the money on a rare version, I think I would rather go with a rare wood/finish in the lines of walnut or ebony...

Just my 2 bits.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

agreed on the vernis martins... but don't get me wrong, if I found any such gaudy but rare phono at a bargain, as I did my XX, I'd definitely pick it up (and that's solely for investment purposes - I know, the dreaded I-word in the antique phono context, for shame - but reselling the thing would get me some extra funds to pick up something I actually want (or pay some bills))...

I mean, it might be different if I were a completist or phono-hungry glutton with room to spare and money to blow, in which case I'd simply have to have one because I either (1) didn't already have one or (2) must have another. but if we're talking "market price" or paying what amounts to the high end (which I thought with the XX was about 10k), then if it's me, I'm putting that money toward something I really want and enjoy playing and/or looking at - as I did with my schoolhouse, Pathé actuelle and concert automatique.

in any event, I've really been doing a lot of reality checking lately before buying pretty much anything, particularly phonographs - I mean, I'm still buying when I can, when I find one of those things I really want (essentially each time I get rid of a few - downsizing, etc.), but it helps keep things in perspective when I'm looking at, say, a reasonably priced wood-horned victor VI for $4000, and remind myself of the mortgage, the student loan payments, and the fact that this is a $4000 dusty old record player that won't even wind itself (once I stop thinking about the mortgage, though, it's a different story of course, but ... )

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

brianu wrote: I'm putting that money toward something I really want and enjoy playing and/or looking at - as I did with my schoolhouse, Pathé actuelle and concert automatique.

but it helps keep things in perspective when I'm looking at, say, a reasonably priced wood-horned victor VI for $4000, and remind myself of the mortgage, the student loan payments, and the fact that this is a $4000 dusty old record player that won't even wind itself (once I stop thinking about the mortgage, though, it's a different story of course, but ... )
Brianu, I tend to agree re. putting Money toward things you really enjoy playing, looking at. It my case that translates into higher end Edison stuff, Triumph, Opera or Amberolas and Diamond discs.

Regarding mortgages and student loans... aren't they a pain???

BTW I'm surprised you own a Concert Automatique. They sound great but are not often seen in the US. How did you get interested in those?

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Valecnik wrote:
brianu wrote: I'm putting that money toward something I really want and enjoy playing and/or looking at - as I did with my schoolhouse, Pathé actuelle and concert automatique.

but it helps keep things in perspective when I'm looking at, say, a reasonably priced wood-horned victor VI for $4000, and remind myself of the mortgage, the student loan payments, and the fact that this is a $4000 dusty old record player that won't even wind itself (once I stop thinking about the mortgage, though, it's a different story of course, but ... )
Brianu, I tend to agree re. putting Money toward things you really enjoy playing, looking at. It my case that translates into higher end Edison stuff, Triumph, Opera or Amberolas and Diamond discs.

BTW I'm surprised you own a Concert Automatique. They sound great but are not often seen in the US. How did you get interested in those?
mortgages, a pain? yes, the worst, especially when you consider the full monthly payment which includes property taxes - I live in a nice house, but it's no mansion on a hill, and those taxes alone amount to about $15k per year - NJ is the worst. it's gotten so bad I've decided to sell and maybe just rent again - just can't justify paying what I'm paying to be living where I'm living, which is just not so great any longer. if only the student loans could be escaped as easily.

the concert automatique is probably my favorite machine, along with the schoolhouse. I just like the design and look of it, and the way - like most coin-ops - the thing would have been used in a more public place, so it would have entertained a whole lot of different people and witnessed a whole lot of different activity (far more than would have been confined to the four walls of an affluent parlor or living room of the 20's, you know?). I got lucky finding it, bought it from a dealer in texas, so it wasn't cheap. ironically enough, there was a second identical one being sold by a guy in philadelphia at the time, but he was asking a bit more.

funny you live in prague. a good friend of mine just returned from spending a week's vacation there.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

brianu wrote:
Valecnik wrote:

mortgages, a pain? yes, the worst, especially when you consider the full monthly payment which includes property taxes - I live in a nice house, but it's no mansion on a hill, and those taxes alone amount to about $15k per year - NJ is the worst. it's gotten so bad I've decided to sell and maybe just rent again - just can't justify paying what I'm paying to be living where I'm living, which is just not so great any longer. if only the student loans could be escaped as easily.

the concert automatique is probably my favorite machine, along with the schoolhouse. I just like the design and look of it, and the way - like most coin-ops - the thing would have been used in a more public place, so it would have entertained a whole lot of different people and witnessed a whole lot of different activity (far more than would have been confined to the four walls of an affluent parlor or living room of the 20's, you know?). I got lucky finding it, bought it from a dealer in texas, so it wasn't cheap. ironically enough, there was a second identical one being sold by a guy in philadelphia at the time, but he was asking a bit more.

funny you live in prague. a good friend of mine just returned from spending a week's vacation there.
I'm looking down the barrel of student loans coming due this time next year (finally graduate in December). My law school debts will actually be almost as much as I owe on my house! Fortunately, I purchased my home over a decade ago, and Maryland limits the amount they can raise property tax on your primary residence from year to year (10%/year from the time of purchase).

I've always wanted to pick up a Victor XXV. But between the cost, and lack of room in the house, I'm not sure it's in the cards any time soon. I also lust after a Regina changer music box...but at $20k, I really don't see that happening for some time....at least not until the school debts are paid off. So much to lust after, so many bills...

:(