old couple listens to phonograph painting

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

old couple listens to phonograph painting

Post by phonophan79 »

Greetings -

I came across this on my local craigslist, I think they want a few hundred for it... which is out of my price range for a painting but just incase anyone was interested I e-mailed for the photos. The ad reads...

WE ARE BUYING OUT AN ART GALLERY IN NYC.... BRINGING INS 20-30PAINTINGS EVERY FEW DAYS...ALL OIL PAINTINGS...ARE GORGEOUS...(NOT THE SO CALLED STARVING ARTISTS TYPE) EACH ONE IN A GREAT MUSEUM STYLE FRAME.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/fud/1182913142.html

JohnM
Victor V

Re: old couple listens to phonograph painting

Post by JohnM »

This is a interesting find. The original painting that Edison's 'old couple' painting was based upon was painted by Pompeo Massani (1850-1920), a Florentine artist. The original painting was exhibited at a salon in NYC in 1905 and purchased by an agent of Edison for $1050. It depicts an old couple listening to an open works Puck . Edison's art staff reworked the painting to show an Edison 'Standard' with a 14" black & brass bell horn. A few years later, a 'Standard' with a cygnet horn was substituted. Also, Edison cylinders were substituted for the Pathé' cylinders in the original Massani. In the early 1990's, an American phonograph collector discovered an original Massani in Louisiana that depicted only the man -- and a different man at that. He is again listening to a Puckin the same pose. There are three cylinders on the table and the brass plaque at the bottom of the fram gives the title of the painting as 'Enrico!' It is interesting to note that there were three Caruso cylinders issued by in October 1903. Perhaps the cylinders in the painting are those cylinders? This painting measures 17.75" x 13.5".

Perhaps you have uncovered another Massani variant. It would be difficult to say without examing the painting(s) in person. I have seen excellent fakes of 'His Master's Voice' as well . . . I used to own one. But, it does seem strange that someone would fake a Massani which is relatively obscure. The man in the painting you found has a more sublime expression than the other men, who wear an open-mouthed countenance, but, he appears to be the same man as the one in the painting found in Louisiana, so the painting you have found bears characteristics of both of the others! Interesting.

John M

Most of this info from 'Antique Phonograph Monthly' Vol. 11 No. 2 (1993) The Massani Painting Mystery by Allen Koenigsberg.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

This seems to be a popular item(i.e., a common knock-off). There's one on eBay now, with a different, simpler, frame:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vintage-Ed ... 7C294%3A50

Jeff

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

This is indeed very interesting, to me it looks much closer to the Edison version than the Enrico painting.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Yeah, but same face with different expression as the 'Enrico!'

John M

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Operafan wrote:This seems to be a popular item(i.e., a common knock-off). There's one on eBay now, with a different, simpler, frame:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vintage-Ed ... 7C294%3A50

Jeff
Very well could be a knock-off, but I have owned the original dealer versions -- lithos on pasteboard.

John M

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

In the pictures I posted, what is the object on the right hand side... all criss-crossed with cloth wrapped around?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Looks like yarn on an expandable spool (like what they spool wire onto at Home Cheapo/Lowes. The "fingers" collapse leaving the wound wire or yarn free to remove). Probably intended to show him listenting to music, and her working by spining yarn.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?