Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RJSoftware
Victor Jr

Re: Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Post by RJSoftware »

You know, now that I think of it, I use to own a suitcase portable that had a Columbia tone arm with a Vic #2 reproducer.

I think I bought it for $40 from guy at antique shop. But last year at Christmas (2007) I sold the phono real cheap -needed the money for kids gifts and to keep bank from overdraft.

I have to admit I screwed up. I was thinking the other day how stupid I was to sell that phono with the number #2 Vic reproducer, and now I just realize it had a Columbia tone arm too.

You reminded me cause it had that slip-sleeve type arrangement. Same shape tone arm as the Columbia discussed.

I sold that thing for $20 (jeese...).

I would love to have a #2 for my IX, but couldn't find for $20 if it killed me. Let alone the Columbia tone arm too.

I remember when I first posted picture of the portable, one of the members of the ol mb had offered to buy it.

Ahhhhk,,, oh well, and drat....

RJ

It's Sold

Post by It's Sold »

eBay Item #350157745294

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

Zeppy wrote:I know who the buyer is but don't think it appropriate to "out" him. He was a regular poster on the old, old board. I recall him posting about this (and I also recognize his ebay name), but don't remember his side of the story. I understand being upset with a seller who poorly packs something. That does merit a full refund and negative feedback. However, keeping parts you want in this situation, getting a full refund, and sending back the scarps is no better than stealing in my book.

I would hope there is another side to the story, otherwise, it was a truely destestable act.

hello my friends and ZEPPY-----were you and i separated at birth? i could not have written your response any better! i feel exactly as you do. i also am aware of the "back story" and totally agree that a refund or some (i am not a lawyer) renumeration would be in order, but theft is never (nor should it be,or EVER) the first approach to resovlve a problem with a purchase. Zeppy, i am am no saint, but stealing is off my radar. i personally commend your morals and "balls" to write what you did. you are correct in that it is not "appropriate" to "out him", but the end result is that crooks such as himself makes you and the others on this community(or any other venue we all frequent) questionable as to his/her honesty? as two vets, i have your back. in my book,you are o.k. your friend Michael

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Use the link below for an afternoon's reading

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Us ... eceived+by

The sellers are professional liars and thieves.

If they had tried to rip YOU off you'd be singing a different tune.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It would appear the seller needs some serious lessons in packing items properly. I guess if anyone HAS to deal with this seller, insurance on the item is a must. :monkey:

tomwil
Victor I

Post by tomwil »

Seems this problem is widespread on eBay, according to Consumerist.com.