Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Post by Zeppy »

bart1927 wrote:
Guest wrote:Here is the link to the whole story:

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:e9f ... cd=1&gl=us
As usual, there are always 2 sides to the story. I now recall reading the original thread on the OTVMMB. Of course it is not right what the buyer did, but I can understand that he did it out of anger. Haven´t we all experienced situations like that? You buy something on Ebay you really like, you give the seller specific instructions on how to pack (including an illustrated demonstration), he tells you not to worry `cause he's been in the business for 30 years, your parcel arrives, and everything is in pieces. Of course the seller denies it was his fault, and he blames it all on the parcel service. After much correspondence back and forth you finally get a refund, but that won't bring your broken turntable back. A beautiful piece of history destroyed by a careless fool.
I don't know what the real story is, no do I want to know. If the buyer received a broken machine, got a full refund, and kept parts, he is a theif. No way around it. We can only be responsible for our own actions. The fact that the sell may have been a moronic dip, and destroyed a machine through poor packing doesn't give a purchaser a free pass to be an equal dip in return, no matter how obnixous the seller was in the process. I'm sure everyone's mommy told them, "two wrongs don't make a right." The seller was made whole by the refund. At that point, it was no longer his turntable, but the sellers pile of parts.

OK...I'm getting off my soapbox...

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Honestly, I think this machine was hardly "Destroyed". I assume the tone arm is intact and the motor works. The damage to the cabinet is unfortunate but it looks mostly like a broken glue joint, pretty easy to fix. as to the scuffs in the finish they're unfortunate but the finish doesn't appear to have been flawless to begin with. If the turntable and other parts were with it I might buy it as it is.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

estott wrote:Honestly, I think this machine was hardly "Destroyed". I assume the tone arm is intact and the motor works. The damage to the cabinet is unfortunate but it looks mostly like a broken glue joint, pretty easy to fix. as to the scuffs in the finish they're unfortunate but the finish doesn't appear to have been flawless to begin with. If the turntable and other parts were with it I might buy it as it is.
I agree... and ha... well, apparently those parts once were with it.

as a side note, regarding the post a few posts back, it's nice to see that the anonymous guest routine already has permeated this board. by nice, I don't really mean nice.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

!
Last edited by Covah on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Covah wrote:The seller busted up the phono with poor packaging so I returned it. I suggest the reader use toolhaus to check seller's extensive list of negative feedback. They are professional liars and thieves.
I know there are two sides to every story. obviously the seller was somewhat at fault if the packing was bad, especially if that caused damage to the machine... although you apparently did get your full refund.

but are you saying that the seller is lying? and that you didn't keep any of the parts from the machine without paying for them?

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

What part of "They are professional liars and thieves" does Brian not understand?

Maybe the part about "I suggest the reader use toolhaus to check seller's extensive list of negative feedback".

Incidentally the seller filed a bogus "item not paid" strike against me after the phono was paid, shipped, and received. Fortunately I kept PayPal confirmation so the strike was removed.

The seller's refusal to simply lift off the turntable and place it elsewhere in the box, which they promised to do twice, caused me a month of harassment and aggravation.

It's funny that the crank, which was nowhere to be found when I received the package, has magically reappeared. Who is stealing parts from whom?

And it's also funny how they left positive feedback for me and didn't become all huffy until PayPal reversed charge.

RJSoftware
Victor Jr

Post by RJSoftware »

Hey Covah (and all).

I was (and am still) considering purchasing the machine. But, the platter is missing.

Don't know what the story is, but, what I am now wondering is how hard would it be to find a suitable replacement platter (hopefully original replacement/identical).

Another thing I am not familiar with is what identification is there on the machine. I spoke with the seller who says the reproducer had a paper (or some form of text) in the reproducer (not sure if it was the diaphragm, as he stated mica diaphragm is still there).

I don't see any metal plate/tag like I would on Victors, maybe this type of Columbia did not have one.

I enjoy restoring machines from the grave. This one looks like an easy restore.

Any and all info appreciated.

RAJ

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I can't say for certain but chances of finding a replacement turntable would look good. Because the tone arms tend to break with age there are a lot of Columbia machines out there without them.

Grafonolas don't have name and serial number plates- I suspect it was a cost cutting and time saving measure. There is one problem with Grafonolas and Orthosean made it clear to me. To save costs Columbia did not use bearings in the tone arm but it's just a slip joint- this causes greater record wear, although if you file down the arm where it goes into the socket you can reduce the friction a bit. Grafonolas can sound nice, they're just not kind to discs. (Columbia fixed that problem in their Viva-Tonal line)

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Covah wrote:What part of "They are professional liars and thieves" does Brian not understand?

Maybe the part about "I suggest the reader use toolhaus to check seller's extensive list of negative feedback".

Incidentally the seller filed a bogus "item not paid" strike against me after the phono was paid, shipped, and received. Fortunately I kept PayPal confirmation so the strike was removed.

The seller's refusal to simply lift off the turntable and place it elsewhere in the box, which they promised to do twice, caused me a month of harassment and aggravation.

It's funny that the crank, which was nowhere to be found when I received the package, has magically reappeared. Who is stealing parts from whom?

And it's also funny how they left positive feedback for me and didn't become all huffy until PayPal reversed charge.
actually, the part I don't understand is this... is it correct that you're saying the seller is lying about the fact that you received a full refund for this machine, but on returning it, you still kept some of the parts? beyond that, I totally understand your responses... in the way that they dodge the apparently hypocritical issue at hand.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

RJSoftware wrote:Hey Covah (and all).

I was (and am still) considering purchasing the machine. But, the platter is missing.

Don't know what the story is, but, what I am now wondering is how hard would it be to find a suitable replacement platter (hopefully original replacement/identical).

Another thing I am not familiar with is what identification is there on the machine. I spoke with the seller who says the reproducer had a paper (or some form of text) in the reproducer (not sure if it was the diaphragm, as he stated mica diaphragm is still there).

I don't see any metal plate/tag like I would on Victors, maybe this type of Columbia did not have one.

I enjoy restoring machines from the grave. This one looks like an easy restore.

Any and all info appreciated.

RAJ
I'd buy it... like someone else noted, the design of the tonearm can be rough on records, but this model (with the doors in front of the horn) is pretty uncommon, and an interesting piece of history (considering the suit by victor based on those doors, which victor had patented, that ultimately prompted Columbia to find some other means for volume control - those great louvers)... it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement turntable. from what I understand, the original one might still be floating around.