Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Post by estott »

Check this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-COLUMBIA-GR ... 240%3A1318

Definitely an early model Grafonola, before they started using louvers. According to the seller she sent it to a winning bidder in working shape, and it was returned broken and with parts missing. Here's the fun part- she says that the bidder even bragged online that he'd returned it after stealing the parts. Anyone here heard this story?
What ever happened, it's sad- looks like it was a nice enough machine.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Broken Grafonola on Ebay (with interesting story)

Post by brianu »

estott wrote:Check this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-COLUMBIA-GR ... 240%3A1318

Definitely an early model Grafonola, before they started using louvers. According to the seller she sent it to a winning bidder in working shape, and it was returned broken and with parts missing. Here's the fun part- she says that the bidder even bragged online that he'd returned it after stealing the parts. Anyone here heard this story?
What ever happened, it's sad- looks like it was a nice enough machine.

ha... I vaguely recall hearing about this through "another" board... if I'm remembering quickly, just think of the cheapest braggart you (perhaps we all) might know.

either way, sounds like another ridiculously tragic story.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

I must have missed that one. Sad story. For that kind of money that'd be worth it I think, It depends on what's wrong with the motor though.Those Columbia tone-arms are not cheap and this one's go it's tone-arm so that's in it's favor. Question, did those Columbias have female cranks? That looks like a female crank.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Here is a later "Favorite", using louvers. (and center-set tone-arm)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0150960981

Duchesne
Victor O

Post by Duchesne »

That is Sad. And it's good to mention such foul brigands.... But What is Still good is worth something. What I mean is, there IS a turn table missing a cabinet - Somewhere....

I am Surprised She accepted the device without checking its contents first?

She DOES have his mailing addy ;) :twisted:

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Unfortunately, as in any collector circle, there are some real "sweeties out there."
It's a long road with no turns, the Man upstairs will have the final laugh!!

Bill
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

RJSoftware

Post by RJSoftware »

I'd like to know who it was who did that to her.

RJ

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I know who the buyer is but don't think it appropriate to "out" him. He was a regular poster on the old, old board. I recall him posting about this (and I also recognize his ebay name), but don't remember his side of the story. I understand being upset with a seller who poorly packs something. That does merit a full refund and negative feedback. However, keeping parts you want in this situation, getting a full refund, and sending back the scarps is no better than stealing in my book.

I would hope there is another side to the story, otherwise, it was a truely destestable act.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Guest wrote:Here is the link to the whole story:

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:e9f ... cd=1&gl=us
As usual, there are always 2 sides to the story. I now recall reading the original thread on the OTVMMB. Of course it is not right what the buyer did, but I can understand that he did it out of anger. Haven´t we all experienced situations like that? You buy something on Ebay you really like, you give the seller specific instructions on how to pack (including an illustrated demonstration), he tells you not to worry `cause he's been in the business for 30 years, your parcel arrives, and everything is in pieces. Of course the seller denies it was his fault, and he blames it all on the parcel service. After much correspondence back and forth you finally get a refund, but that won't bring your broken turntable back. A beautiful piece of history destroyed by a careless fool.