Beautiful Circassian L-Door XVI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Beautiful Circassian L-Door XVI

Post by Zwebie »

Well last June at Union, one of the wants on my wish list, was to find a really nice original Circassian L-Door XVI. There was a really nice Circassian VTLA in Dominic’s booth, but I was hoping for a later machine without the fretwork at the top. Years ago I had the privilege of seeing Roger Merenkov’s Circassian L-Door XVI, and was stunned by its beautiful wood-grained patterns and the simplicity of its styling. At the time I had a similar Mahogany L-Door, and was just blown away by his machine. I told myself that someday I would own such a machine.

Fast forward 25 years to this years show, and I was finally ready to go for it. I found out about this machine from David Rosamond, who told me he had a friend in Dallas who might be willing to part with his machine. As it turned out, David’s friend just happened to be David Boruff, who I had met in previous years at Union. I drove down to Dallas with a Glass-Sided Zonophone Type “A” in hand , with the hopes that we could work out some kind of a deal. It turns out that I ended up bringing home both the Zonophone and the L-Door, (I just couldn’t part with my sweet little A).

According to David, this untouched machine was purchased in Denton, TX, from a person who said that he had acquired it from the descendants of the original owners in Denver. Sadly David didn’t know who he bought it from, or who the original owners were. The machine has a dealers tag from The Knight-Campbell Music Co. Denver, Colorado. David showed me that the machine had many record catalogs and extras that were stamped with the Knight-Campbell Logo, and also relayed that many of the records in the albums matched what was written in the original Record Index.

Since bringing this machine home, the only thing which I have done to it is to give it a quick wipe down with GoJo. The finish appears to be 100% untouched original and is nearly flawless! I was amazed at how it really popped after cleaning. The only other thing which I plan to do is to re-grease the springs, as it has the occasional “bug-a-rump”. I went thru the Index and the Albums, and to my amazement the machine contained 95 of the original 99 records listed, many operatics!

One very interesting thing which I did find in the albums were several home recordings by Emma DeSpain, and one home recording of the 25th Wedding Anniversary of Emma and John DeSpain, dated 1948, Denver. Emma had a very lovely “operatic” voice, and one can’t help but wonder if this machine was purchased by her parents, and then given to her as a wedding present. Searching the internet thus far I have found out that John was born 1897, and Emma was born 1900. They were married in 1923, and lived in Denver. Sadly John died in 1970 and Emma died in 1990. Apparently they didn’t have any children, but Emma had 3 sisters which married and had children. (For now, I continue to research).

I did manage to find some 1913 photographs of The Knight-Campbell Music Co., 1625 California St., Denver, Colorado.

Cheers, Bob S.

P.S.: A special thanks to my daughter for letting me use her really good camera!
Attachments
Single.jpg
Three Faces.jpg
Three Open.jpg
Open Record Board.jpg
Four Lid Open.jpg
Extras.JPG
Knight-Campbell.jpg
K-C Window.jpg
Last edited by Zwebie on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Beautiful Circassian L-Door XVI

Post by TinfoilPhono »

That is positively stunning!!!! My jaw is on the floor. Wow. And how wonderful to have all those 'go-withs'.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Simply magnificent! I too have been inspired to collect phonographs after seeing Roger's collection. I look forward to going back to Rogers house someday to see it again. My dream machines have been circassian Sonora Supreme or a Reginaphone 240. Your Victor is now right up there in my dreams. Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I can only echo earlier comments. That Victrola is truly a stunning example. Striking grain patterns. There's Circassian, and then there's Circassian. The condition and extra bits are wonderful. That one's a keeper, Bob! :)

George P.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Bob,

This one is a beauty, for sure, with incredible grain patterns.

You are a master at cleaning up a machine and preserving originality. The time and effort you put into the various phonographs that I have purchased from you in the past always has me in awe of your talents.

As you well know, Circassian phonographs are rare and expensive. Although I've bought and sold a number of them in the past few years, I still have two left in stock and that gives me the opportunity to see and admire them every day!

Raphael
Attachments
Victor VV-XVI
Victor VV-XVI
Sonora Grand
Sonora Grand

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Stunning!

Your beautiful XVI compelled me to look closely and realize that there is a pull-out shelf!

The incredibly interesting (and stunning) grain pattern of it caught my eye...I never before noticed that the L-Door Vicrolas had that shelf. :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Sorry I can't think of any superlatives that have not already been used. It is indeed stunning. It would be a star in anyone's collection.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

Bob, You always amaze at your talents and rare pieces in your collection. This is truly stunning.

Mike

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Bob,
We are glad you were able to work out the deal on this fabulous machine.

I told you at Union
this was the most beautiful grain I had ever seen and you have it looking better than ever!

We are sure you will enjoy this for years to come.

All the best,

David & Lerria Rosamond

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

That's as dramatic Circassian as I've ever seen and the treasure-trove of goodies makes it irresistible. Congratulations!
Jerry Blais