Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rvwenger
Victor I

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by rvwenger »

Watched an interesting kids movie last night. Woody Woodpecker. Made in 2017. First scenes in Woody's tree home have a animated horned victor. In later scenes you can see a upside down record on the table since it clearly shows the square white patent label found on early discs.

The movie takes a while to get going and the gags are, well for kids. What was interesting is that after the credits at the end of the movie, they show a full feature Woody Woodpecker cartoon from 1956.

I guess the reason I watched this is that I worked with a cousin of Walter Lantz. He was a pharmacist at one of the Hospitals I worked at. The name Lantz stuck out.

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

Has anyone mentioned Rain (1932) Joan Crawford, Walter Huston? There's an outside horn, rear mount, Victor derivative phonograph that plays a fairly significant role in this movie. Featured rather prominently in some scenes.
John

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

welshfield wrote:Has anyone mentioned Rain (1932) Joan Crawford, Walter Huston? There's an outside horn, rear mount, Victor derivative phonograph that plays a fairly significant role in this movie. Featured rather prominently in some scenes.
John
And then there's "Sadie Thompson" from 1928 (remade as "Rain"), featuring Gloria Swanson with this photo:
Attachments
sadie.jpg
sadie.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 2047 times

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Was watching "Blotto" with Laurel & Hardy, when I spied, in a scene where Laurel is going to the door of his apartment, a Credenza by the door. I could not find an image of that.

Then there's this still from "Unaccustomed As We Are" (1929) with an unidentified talking machine:
Attachments
x240-SFi.jpg
x240-SFi.jpg (13.17 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In laurel & Hardy's Liberty (mgm, 1929) there's a scene where they tumble on the floor some Victrolas and lots of records, minute 6:30 to 8:00... A nightmare for collectors, but a good short film...
https://youtu.be/tMY6zSwzErk
Inigo

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Inigo wrote:In laurel & Hardy's Liberty (mgm, 1929) there's a scene where they tumble on the floor some Victrolas and lots of records, minute 6:30 to 8:00... A nightmare for collectors, but a good short film...
https://youtu.be/tMY6zSwzErk
Thanks for that link, Inigo! Have added it to my "watch later" list on YouTube. Love L&H.

~ Charlie

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Charlie; see the whole film. It's not long, and you'll enjoy all those mad scenes of them trying to swap their pants... And the final long scene, walking on the beams of a skyscraper...! When I was a boy I didn't enjoy these things as much as I enjoy them nowadays... They were great!
Inigo

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

From Family Guy Season 16, Episode 13, V is for Mystery (A Sherlock Holmes spoof)
This is from the opening credits. A very well illustrated Berliner with Brian as Dr Watson.
DSCN5109.png
and this too is from the same episode...
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 10.33.38 AM.png
James.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

This is a movie still from "The Vanishing Virginian" and it looks like it came out in 1942. I watched it a long time ago and just remember thinking that this machine has a Columbia horn on it. And it looks like it's oak in the picture even. It's no surprise though with how screwed up they often were in Hollywood when it comes to getting details like that right. Like all the lamps with ball shades on them in "Gone With the Wind". Even when most of the stuff in these kinds of films were easily within the memory of a lot of people that were still alive, and even in the movie itself.

It's a nice photo though and of course it would be nice to know if the thing survived.

Earl.
Attachments
The Virginian VI photo 001.jpg
The Virginian VI photo 001.jpg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
The Virginian VI photo 001.jpg

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Stumbled across a movie tonight called "Wicked Woman" which she certainly is. A real B movie "Pot Boiler" I think they referred to it as. It has a wind up portable not too far into the movie and a time or two later, but the movie it self is well worth watching. A great performance by Beverly Michales. Just search you tube it will come up.

Larry