Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tuberecuds
Victor Jr

Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by tuberecuds »

Has anyone seen the early 1930's French movie on AMC about the man who gets out of jail, gets a job in a used phonograph shop, then opens a phonograph emporium--then a chain of them and eventually becomes mogul of several phonograph Factories? Wow! What a dream Come true! (Except for the part where the thugs catch up with him.) Does anyone know the title of the film?
Stephen Lavoie

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by Lucius1958 »

That's "À Nous la Liberté".

Bill

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The phonograph factory itself becomes a sort of prison for the workers.

I recently saw "Hold That Ghost!" with Abbott & Costello, and a VV-XVII gets a few shots

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

estott wrote:The phonograph factory itself becomes a sort of prison for the workers.

I recently saw "Hold That Ghost!" with Abbott & Costello, and a VV-XVII gets a few shots
That was the scene when Bud Abbott said something like ".....that's a Victrola".

I always thought even in 1943, it was like a antique.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Lucius1958 wrote:That's "À Nous la Liberté".

Bill
Thanks for suggesting this title! I like Renè Clair but I didn't know of this movie. I'm looking forward to see it, now. :)

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

A Nous La Liberte, or Freedom for Us is a leftist 1931 French film by Rene Clair, a famous director. Clair was a Dadaist film maker in the 1920s. If you look at this clip from A Nous La Liberte, you will see a marked similarity to Charlie Chaplin's 1936 film, Modern Times. Clair was trying to show the increased mechanization of modern factory life where workers are treated more like prisoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQG6gVxq6-c

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

In Canned Harmony (1912), a central prop is an Edison Standard Model B (equipped with Amberol Attachment) sporting a Fireside/Gem horn supported by a Hawthorne & Sheble No.5 crane missing its extension rod. :)

The film can be seen on Youtube from a fuzzy, unrestored print and no musical accompaniment. On Oct. 1, 2015 TCM aired a nicely restored version with accompaniment, and from this the details of the machine can easily be discerned.

Here's the Youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLztVRPi5lg

George P.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Wifey and I saw "Crimson Peak" the other night, the new Guillermo del Toro horror-ish flick. Cylinder machines play pretty heavily into the plot of the movie. I'm not a cylinder guy (currently, anyway) so I don't know what the machines were. But at one point there was a machine on screen and I leaned forward a little in my chair ... prompted wifey to whisper "Don't even think about it ..."
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

Victrolacollector wrote:
estott wrote:The phonograph factory itself becomes a sort of prison for the workers.

That was the scene when Bud Abbott said something like ".....that's a Victrola".

I always thought even in 1943, it was like a antique.

Bud doesn't actually say "Victrola", He says "wait" - pulls off a sheet over the machine and says "just as I thought! and Look at all the records!" And one of the records in this abandoned prohibition era road house was the 1941 contemporary recording of "The Blue Danube Waltz" ;)

The Victor Victrola decal had been removed from the inside of the lid as well. No Victor (RCA) advertising in this Universal Film! It was more of a 20-25 year old machine than an antique.
Hold that Ghost was made in 1941 just after "Buck Privates" Audiences liked the Andrews Sisters in Buck Privates so well - scenes were tacked on to the beginning and ending of "Hold That Ghost" where they performed musical numbers with an aging Ted Lewis. :D

One of my favorite Abbot & Costello films - second only to "The Time of Their Lives" :D
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

How About "Penny Serenade" with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne from 1941
The whole story revolves around memories noted by an album of records representing the relationship of a young couple. They are played on their Electrola 9-16 or 9-18. There are camera views through the machine and from overhead (where an unfortunate modified set up that I assume was for filming has the pick up landing terribly out of tangent to the recording).

Memories begin with a chance meeting from a record with a hung groove (You Were Meant for Me from Broadway Melody) - being played on a Counter Demonstrator and broadcast outside at a music shop full of VTM Co. wares and a few oddly placed left over acoustic machines including a VV- 240 or 280 that makes an appearance later in the film in the couples apartment (before being replaced by the Electrola) (Both would have been "used" machines as they were both made before they met in 1929!) The music store scene ends with Grant's character carrying a large stack of records into a glassed listening booth where Dunne's Character will play them on a Credenza.

This movie made me really appreciate "Just a Memory" and McDowell's "To a Wild Rose"
I can't seem to stop buying both of them as a result. :D
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010