Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by larryh »

I watch a lot of old movies on You Tube and often especially in British movies I see some type of phonograph. Many are the later type portables like my Telefunken or the HMV version of that, thin and lightweight. Last night in fact I saw a movie in which the phonograph plays a sort of bit part in a jewel heist. Not too bad for an early 40s movie, but then the music is canned and not from the actual portable I doubt.

Its called the Secret Place, 1943 I think it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksy-j020uj8

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Story of O (1975) includes a scene with a large Pathé disc phonograph playing.

WARNING :!: . This is an adult film :shock: . It is many years since I saw it, and I have no plans to see it again as a man of my age should not have too much excitement :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Spotted a few in a movie entitled "Midnight in Paris" (2011). The two on the right in the 3rd picture look like crappers.
Attachments
MidnightInParis-1.JPG
MidnightInParis-2.JPG
MidnightInParis-3.JPG

benjaminh
Victor II

Post by benjaminh »

I don't think anyone's mentioned the rather uncomplimentary scene with Fred Astaire from "Shall We Dance."

Benjamin
Attachments
Astaire.avi
(29.63 MiB) Downloaded 1770 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Nice sketch, very amusing! :D

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

Don't forget My Fair Lady
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Joe Busam
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Victor V

Post by Joe Busam »

An Edison Standard Model B shows up in 1957's DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL. Toward the end a young woman is undressing and listening to the phonograph just before she's killed by Mr. Hyde.

benjaminh
Victor II

Post by benjaminh »

Joe Busam wrote:An Edison Standard Model B shows up in 1957's DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL. Toward the end a young woman is undressing and listening to the phonograph just before she's killed by Mr. Hyde.
Yes, I've seen that one. The sound is pretty clearly (I think) dubbed in from a disc, as the music supposedly being played is 1920's dance band music, and the Standard doesn't have a 4min adapter on it. The Standard looks to have the ICS repeater attachment, which is odd seeing that it's in a banner case.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

benjaminh wrote:
Joe Busam wrote:An Edison Standard Model B shows up in 1957's DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL. Toward the end a young woman is undressing and listening to the phonograph just before she's killed by Mr. Hyde.
Yes, I've seen that one. The sound is pretty clearly (I think) dubbed in from a disc, as the music supposedly being played is 1920's dance band music, and the Standard doesn't have a 4min adapter on it. The Standard looks to have the ICS repeater attachment, which is odd seeing that it's in a banner case.
I have a banner case Standard B with ICS attachment: excellent original.

Bill

benjaminh
Victor II

Post by benjaminh »

Lucius1958 wrote:
benjaminh wrote:
I have a banner case Standard B with ICS attachment: excellent original.

Bill
Nice to know! I guess I just assumed that the the ICS Standards were always in a script case.