The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline
Victor Monarch
I have good days...this might not be one of them
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 4034
Location: Albany NY
OrthoSean wrote:

It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean


I have the whole series on disc but I'm going to have to make myself watch the last season. I'd been a fan, but I grew to detest every character as either corrupt or weak.

Still, it was always superb looking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 am
Posts: 381
Location: Victoria. Australia
The Flintstones Season 1-Episode 5 The Split Personality

https://dai.ly/x41fsic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
Victor O
User avatar
Going through life at 160 RPM
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:42 pm
Posts: 88
Location: Illinois
estott wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:

It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean


I have the whole series on disc but I'm going to have to make myself watch the last season. I'd been a fan, but I grew to detest every character as either corrupt or weak.

Still, it was always superb looking.


I love the fact that Boardwalk Empire made a big deal of the song Barney Google. very cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm
Posts: 968
Where can I get a victrola like The Flintstones have? :lol: edisonplayer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:31 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:13 pm
Posts: 611
Location: On Chicago's South Side
I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?
Adam


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 am
Posts: 560
Location: British Columbia, Canada
beaumonde wrote:
I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?


I posted a couple lousy-quality screenshots on page 13 of this thread.
It's a hilarious film!

Steven


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
Victor II
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Stillman Valley, IL
The little old ladies Bialystock was seducing for money would have been in their late teens or early 20’s when that Victrola was new. So this Victrola in his office would have been a not so subtle reminder of their “flaming youth”. :P

“Remember make those checks out to cash”!

Glenn


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm
Posts: 2186
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Viva-voce wrote:
beaumonde wrote:
I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?


I posted a couple lousy-quality screenshots on page 13 of this thread.
It's a hilarious film!

Steven


See my post on p. 13. It's a XI successor, the VV-100, later version. Notice the large doors, and the vertically offset door knobs (i.e, not centered on the door height, but closer to the top edge of door). See http://www.victor-victrola.com/100.htm, top right-hand side of page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 am 
Offline
Victor V
His epigrams are all his own, the man's an epigramophone!
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 2577
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
Directed by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame "From Time to Time" (2009) is a ghost story set towards the end of WW2.

The location is the 15th Century Athelhampton Hall, about 5 miles East of Dorchester. During a scene in the music room, a record is played on an EMG Mk10/10a/10b. Let the experts (no pun intended) decide which.

Apologies for the less than perfect image, which is a shot of my TV screen.

Athelhampton Hall is privately owned but is open to the public. It would be interesting to know whether the EMG resides there, or whether it was brought in as a prop for the film.


Attachments:
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG [ 451.07 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
TimeToTime.jpg
TimeToTime.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 248 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:47 am 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am
Posts: 584
Location: Hampshire, England.
Looks like a Xa to me with the thin band at the "knuckle".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.