Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Wind-up Phonographs in Movies

Post by estott »

OrthoSean wrote:
It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean
I have the whole series on disc but I'm going to have to make myself watch the last season. I'd been a fan, but I grew to detest every character as either corrupt or weak.

Still, it was always superb looking.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The Flintstones Season 1-Episode 5 The Split Personality

https://dai.ly/x41fsic

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

estott wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:
It's funny you mention Boardwalk Empire, I was just saying Friday at work that I think I need to watch it again from the beginning. Although there were a few very small errors with things (like that Caruso disc), the show paid painstaking attention to details and accuracies mostly and it's thoroughly entertaining as long as you can handle violence.

I'd love to have the Oak VTLA Nucky had in his office!

Sean
I have the whole series on disc but I'm going to have to make myself watch the last season. I'd been a fan, but I grew to detest every character as either corrupt or weak.

Still, it was always superb looking.
I love the fact that Boardwalk Empire made a big deal of the song Barney Google. very cool.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Where can I get a victrola like The Flintstones have? :lol: edisonplayer

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?
Adam

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

beaumonde wrote:I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?
I posted a couple lousy-quality screenshots on page 13 of this thread.
It's a hilarious film!

Steven

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

The little old ladies Bialystock was seducing for money would have been in their late teens or early 20’s when that Victrola was new. So this Victrola in his office would have been a not so subtle reminder of their “flaming youth”. :P

“Remember make those checks out to cash”!

Glenn

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Viva-voce wrote:
beaumonde wrote:I didn't have the time to re-read this entire thread, but (among many other examples in my mind) I recall the original "The Producers" (1968) in the opening scenes in Max Bialystock's (Zero Mostel's) office, there is a smallish mahogany Victrola, I think an XI, in the background with the lid open. It plays no role in the plot, and seems out of place and gratuitous (and would have been about 50 years old at the time). Does anyone else remember seeing it?
I posted a couple lousy-quality screenshots on page 13 of this thread.
It's a hilarious film!

Steven
See my post on p. 13. It's a XI successor, the VV-100, later version. Notice the large doors, and the vertically offset door knobs (i.e, not centered on the door height, but closer to the top edge of door). See http://www.victor-victrola.com/100.htm, top right-hand side of page.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Directed by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame "From Time to Time" (2009) is a ghost story set towards the end of WW2.

The location is the 15th Century Athelhampton Hall, about 5 miles East of Dorchester. During a scene in the music room, a record is played on an EMG Mk10/10a/10b. Let the experts (no pun intended) decide which.

Apologies for the less than perfect image, which is a shot of my TV screen.

Athelhampton Hall is privately owned but is open to the public. It would be interesting to know whether the EMG resides there, or whether it was brought in as a prop for the film.
Attachments
IMG_2008.JPG
TimeToTime.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Looks like a Xa to me with the thin band at the "knuckle".