Featured Phonograph № 20

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Featured Phonograph № 20

Post by gramophoneshane »

Make: REXONOLA (by Jackson & MacDonald Co, Sydney, N.S.W.)
Model: MODEL 35
Serial # A1782
Year(s) Made: 1928-32
Original Cost: £14' 10' 0.
Case/Cabinet Size: 19"W x 21"D x 36"H
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Rexophonic Prismaphonic by Thorens
Motor: Double spring Rexonola manufactured by Thorens
Horn Dimensions: 14"W x 20"H
Reproduction Parts: Grille cloth, turntable fabric & finish
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: The Model 35 was the second least expensive upright in the new Prismaphonic range.
When I bought this machine, it was in rather poor condition. I saved the original finish by giving the cabinet a coat of clear lacquer, although the lid had to be totally refinished.
The turntable velvet is a replacement, as is the grille cloth.
Unlike most other brands, the grille is built as part of the cabinet.
I had pull the cabinet apart, refinish the woodwork, install the cloth, and reassemble the cabinet!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yDCPdQiLYY[/youtube]

I had this posted on the last board, but thought I'd throw it back up now it's safe :)
Attachments
Rexonola35Ad.jpg
Rexophonic speaker.jpg

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 20

Post by MordEth »

Shane,

Thanks for sharing this machine again—I only vaguely remember seeing it previously. (And I think you now hold the record for posting a featured phonograph after I’ve posted the template—a mere 50 minutes, and I think this is the first Australian machine featured.) In particular, I find their advertising copy (which I’ve transcribed below) interesting, and it was nice to get to hear the machine.

It certainly looks like you put a good bit of work into the machine, but that your efforts were well-rewarded.

I’ll have to cut out the sound box drawing later, when I have more time.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

To-day—New Standards of Home Entertainment!

A Golden Age for the Music Lover

UP-TO-DATE to the last detail, tonally superb, dignified in design, handsome and durable in finish, Rexonola (Prismaphonic) No. 35 is truly representative of the best that this golden age of recorded music has to offer.

A decade—even five years—ago, such fidelity of reproduction was impossible, whatever price you were prepared to pay. To-day the enlarged Prismaphonic Sound Chamber, with its patented principle of three wooden reflecting surfaces or sound boards has wrought a revelation in musical reproduction.

Hear it yourself—and be convinced; see it, examine its sturdy construction and quality finish.

The size of the cabinet is 36 inches high, 18 inches wide, 20½ inches deep. The Prismaphonic Sound Chamber fills the whole of the cabinet space.

The special Double Spring Rexonola Motor, with one-inch springs, plays three 10-inch records with one winding.

Rexonola No. 35

PRICE £14’10’ • IN OAK

Jackson & Macdonald

360-362 Kent Street
SYDNEY

[hr][/hr]

Rexophonic Speakers

will increase your Record Sales

Among your customers are many owners of old-type talking machines which will not play the new electrical records satisfactorily. Some of these are prospective purchasers of new type instruments—all are prospects for the wonderful Rexophonic Speaker that gives amazing increase of volume, depth and richness of tone, from any machine.

But even more important to you is the increase in record sales that the fitting of Rexophonic Speakers will bring. The “blast” that is frequently heard in playing electrical records on old-style instruments is eliminated; the wider range and deeper, richer tone of the Rexophonic Speaker bring out the full beauty of the new recording.

Retail Price 20/-

Place a trial order, and try over your most difficult records on any make or model instrument.

Attractive advertising, literature and show-cards are available.

The REXOPHONIC SPEAKER

JACKSON & MACDONALD

360-362 KENT STREET, SYDNEY.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Hey Shane,

I missed this first time around but from the pictures it looks like you worked a miracle on what started out as an unpromising machine (condition wise). It now looks really good - like new. Very nice job. I particulalry like the way the grill turned out and that colour of cloth sets the whole thing off nicely. BTW was that scaffholding you used to hold the cabinet together whilst reglueing it back together?

RJ 8-)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Great job G-shane! Love to see "progress pictures" too. Thanks for sharing this Ausssie machine!

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

THANK YOU for the great "featured phonograph"... we all love our machines so to speak and like to show them off, but it's nice from time to time to see something in this weekly post that's both unusual and well-explained - and on top of that, documents a fine restoration process. again, thanks.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Shane,

Thanks for posting this very interesting phonograph! I have never heard of the Rexonola. But it looks and sounds fantastic.
Great job on the restoration!

Paal.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That is indeed a quite impressive restoration job. And it not only looks fantastic but does also sound wonderful!

Emidicta
Victor Jr

Post by Emidicta »

Love the cabinet! You certainly did a great job on it!

How does the 'Prismaphonic' soundbox compare to a HMV 5a or Vic Ortho? I saw one just like it (branded Thorens, of course) in an antiques shop the other day. And would it fit, say, the same arm as an Exhibition?
Last edited by Emidicta on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I am always fascinated by the machines designed to play the early electricals. How does this compare to an HMV Re-entrant in terms of sound. It seems quite good on the video.

Jim

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Richard- those are pipe clamps. One end screws onto the end of the pipe & the other is adjustable by sliding along the pipe. I love them because you're only limited by the length of the pipe, so they're really good for big cabinets etc.

Paal- Rexonola was Australia's most successful off-brand machine. They started out in 1906 as Sydney's only Edison franchise, and also imported open horn machines called Rexophones from Thorens.
In 1912 they began manufacturing their own cabinets, still using Thorens components. It's believed that between 1912 & 1930, around 180,000 Rexonola's were produced.

Emidicta- The Prismaphonic soundbox is no match for the No.5's. They really only sound slightly better than the No.4's IMO. The only advantage is the aluminium diaphragm. I've actually found they wear records more than your average soundbox.I think this is due to the type of needle bar pivot employed, and the overall weight of them. An HMV 5a weighs 145g, but the Prismaphonic is a massive 173g. Both diaphragms are the same size, but of different designs. They do fit a standard Victor/HMV tonearm, but I wouldn't recommend playing your best records with one. Even if Thorens made slightly lighter models, I still don't think the needle bar pivots (if you can even call it that) are a very healthy design.

Jim- The combination of the Prismaphonic soundbox, and what is only a really basic saxophone horn, make it not much better than a good HMV table model using a No.4 S/B. The sound doesn't even come close to that of a 163 Re-entrant.

Here's a picture of the reproducer & "pivot". The brass plate attaches to the reproducer body & needle bar, so the plate is what acts as the pivot between the two. Paillard also used the same design on their soundboxes at the time. Paillard however used steel as the body/back instead of pot metal, so they only weigh 145g like an HMV 5a, and don't seem to wear records like the Thorens version.

I thought I'd throw in a couple Rexophone record labels while I'm at it. These were imported from 1911 to 1917, originally from Homophon Gmbh, then Homophon UK because of the war, and lastly from J.E. Hough Ltd of Edison-Bell fame.

Image Image