Edison Standard D Restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Discman
Victor II

Edison Standard D Restoration

Post by Discman »

Here are some photos of my recently completed Edison Standard D restoration. Last fall, someone gave me a non-working Standard D that was missing several key components. I debated long and hard whether it was worth spending the money since I already have this model and the cost to restore appeared to close to or more than what the finished machine would be worth.

The parts it needed were a case bottom, reproducer, Image crank, Image feedscrew cover, Image gear cover, two feedscrew end bearings, some misc small screws, and a horn. Altogether I spent about $275 on parts and about 50 hours of time spread over 3 months. The bedplate was extremely nice once I cleaned it up, with about 95% of the gold paint intact. This was my first time removing and replacing a frozen mandrel bearing and it took a combination of penetrating oil and a day in the freezer. Once I dismantled, cleaned and tuned up the motor it ran fine. I have not touched the spring, it runs strong and quiet with no thumping.

It came with a crude home made case bottom that was made from plywood. It did come with a solid cover and bedplate frame, but both had been stripped and crudely refinished. The inside of the lid had even been finished with a coat of varnish. I picked a up a solid D case bottom and gear cover on Ebay from Larry Crandell, both needed some major restoration.

The gear cover was scuffed up and missing about half the gold striping, so I repaired the black using asphaltum and restriped it using gold paint and a small brush, then over coated with a few light coats of sprayed orange shellac.

The case was finished with several coats of sprayed orange shellac from flakes.

The Edison case decal is one I made myself:

You can see a complete gallery of images here:
Standard D Restoration

Dave

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Edison Standard D Restoration

Post by gramophoneshane »

Wow, you did a magnificent job on it! That decal looks excellent too. Better than the bought ones I've used & seen.
Congrats on a job VERY well done.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Edison Standard D Restoration

Post by phonophan79 »

Discman wrote:The gear cover was scuffed up and missing about half the gold striping, so I repaired the black using asphaltum and restriped it using gold paint and a small brush, then over coated with a few light coats of sprayed orange shellac.
I agree... very nice job bringing this machine back to life.

I was going to ask about this striping... I wish I got get mine looking nice.

You know... at all these phono shows, someone should set up a table to sell service instead of product. I would love to pay for help on minor repairs, reproducer rebuilds, touch ups like pin stiping, etc.