Early Victor R

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mattrx
Victor IV

Early Victor R

Post by mattrx »

First, I have the best wife a guy could ask for. She went from Memphis to Knoxville with some family members to see a football game. She was kind enough to bring me home a present! Recently I bought an early Victor R and the seller arranged to get it to a forum member who lives in Knoxville. The forum member was nice enough to meet my wife and hand off the phonograph, so it got to me in great shape. The machine is an early Victor R that fits very well into my small collection and the condition of the machine is probably the best in my modest collection. Two other forum members helped me with advice on this machine, so "Thank you" Dave, Jerry and Darold!

The seller said there were NO reproduction parts (not the record hold down, felt or crank) and it has the early zinc horn, wooden traveling arm, and the oxidation looks great as does the original finish. The serial number is 4882, so pretty early in the production run. This is my first pre-dog machine and only my second front mount (Zonophone Home). I had thought of trying to post as a featured phonograph, but Darold has already posted a similar machine: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3605

Thanks again to the forum members who helped to make this acquisition possible!

Matt
Attachments
P1020229.jpg
P1020235.jpg
P1020231.jpg
P1020233.jpg
P1020240.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Early Victor R

Post by Jerry B. »

Great looking machine and I love the Exhibition Junior reproducer. Anyone know the logic behind a slightly smaller Exhibition? Jerry B.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote: Anyone know the logic behind a slightly smaller Exhibition? Jerry B.
Could it be slightly less weight for that relatively small motor to pull? Just a guess.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Maybe, but on the other hand it could have been easily counterpoised with a shorter arm or different fulcrum.

So my guess is marketing: different products for different wallets.

Or parhaps the "Junior" sounded a bit better on smaller and shorter horns, but I doubt the real reason was sound quality.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Awesome looking R!!!! Congratulations. The Exhibition Jr. reproducer is very rare. I have only come across one in over 30 years of collecting. I have only seen them on Victor R machines.
Does anyone know of any literature or ads detailing the Exhibition Jr. reproducer?

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Matt,
Your Vic R is in outstanding condition! You don't often see an original record hold down nut as they are usually missing. It always amazes me that a machine can survive 110 plus years in such nice shape!! You wonder where it has been kept all these years.
Pete

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Beautiful Victor R! Congratulations. I wished mine was in such nice original condition. The Exhibition Junior is a plus.

Andreas

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Matt,

What a great addition to your collection.
Best of luck with it.

Gene

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Ditto to what has already been written. Those horns often don't age well, but that one's a beauty. The dealer's tag is an interesting addition as well! :)

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I've always had a soft spot for the R, even though I no longer own one. I've never seen one as nice as yours. Wow! I sure wouldn't mind having that on my own shelf.