Light blue BA?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Light blue BA?

Post by richardh »

Is this just a very faded standard blue amberol or did they realy also come in this light blue colour? Any views on this? If it isn't an Edison BA any ideas as to the actual make of this one?

Light Blue BA?

RJ 8-)

Paal1994
Victor II

Re: Light blue BA?

Post by Paal1994 »

Richard,

BA's came in several different colors of blue but not as light as this.
This one is an Indestructible cylinder.

Paal.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This is about the lightest blue I've ever found an Edison cylinder. These wear rather quickly due to the water based dyes Edison was using to colour the celluloid at the time.
Attachments
blue 002.JPG

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

Thanks for showing that, gramophoneshane. I've had a few as light as that over time, but all of them were noisy. "Just Plain Dog" by Van Avery (Amberol 1840) and "The Old Time Street Fakir" (Amberol 1999) looked like that, but they were changed out when I found cleaner copies.

I once had a copy of "All Aboard for Blanket Bay" on Amberol 2011 that was almost white. It was unique, but unlistenable in the shape it was in, so it's out of the collection as well.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Thanks guys. I thought it must be something other than an Edison cylinder.

Shane, yes I have a similar BA to yours which has a lot of wear and has ligher blue grooves. Interestingly I also have another faded BA which has gone green at one end! ;)

However, Ive never seen this kind of milky blue cyliner. Its a new one on me :lol:

RJ 8-)