An HMV 194, Or Why I Shouldn't Have Left Bed This Morning...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bostonmike1
Victor I

Re: An HMV 194, Or Why I Shouldn't Have Left Bed This Morning...

Post by bostonmike1 »

Then HE did not do his "due diligence". Good luck with your store. Michael

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

bostonmike1 wrote:Brianu----- Why are you apologizing for your well thought out and equally well written views. We seem to live in this present world where when things go wrong, it is always the other persons fault. If the lawyer HE hired to perform and accomplish his needs, failed in his estimation, then then HE did not do his required homework as to was the lawyer up to performing the required tasks? You get what you pay for. As for "tearing out the guts of humanity", the poster exposed himself. Some people would take the pennies out of a dead man's eyes (because they can make a buck---or a portion thereof) while others would leave them in place -----and just say a prayer for the deceased----at no charge. Brianu, you have morals and I applaud you, sir. Michael
ha... thanks. but I definitely wasn't looking to pick any fights, particularly with john m esq. it seems that perhaps at some point in this thread both our words may have been misconstrued a bit. and understandably, the feelings that stories such as garrett's provoke, especially if you've been there, naturally tend to get a person going with some strong language in general as well. any apology was just to jm for seeming to come across as offended when I wasn't. so far as lawyers, they monopolize too much of my week, so I'm sticking with phonographs here on out... haven't seen you on here much lately mike, find anything interesting lately in the wild with better luck than garrett's?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Garret:

I noted, from your screen-shot of the ad, that the seller stated, "$275 obo." That, to me, means he was planning on running this sale as an auction from the start, regardless of what he lead you to believe.

Interestingly, the one gramophone I sold on craigslist a few years back was initially flagged down because I put obo (or best offer) in the ad. A craigslist staff-member sent me an email, referring me to this page --

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/faq#auction

From what I can see, auctions are still prohibited, but the rule, which does not appear in the site's terms of use page, is only enforced on a hit or miss basis. Since it is hidden away in the list of FAQs, almost no one knows about it.

In any event, whenever I see an ad with "or best offer," I just pass over it. If it's obvious that the seller is trying to run an auction (no specified price), I'll hit the "Prohibited" button and flag it. It takes something like 20 flags before the ad is pulled.

Hopefully, you'll find another 194 "with you name on it" before too long. As for the 194 seller, I'm a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around."

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

brianu wrote:
bostonmike1 wrote:Brianu----- Why are you apologizing for your well thought out and equally well written views. We seem to live in this present world where when things go wrong, it is always the other persons fault. If the lawyer HE hired to perform and accomplish his needs, failed in his estimation, then then HE did not do his required homework as to was the lawyer up to performing the required tasks? You get what you pay for. As for "tearing out the guts of humanity", the poster exposed himself. Some people would take the pennies out of a dead man's eyes (because they can make a buck---or a portion thereof) while others would leave them in place -----and just say a prayer for the deceased----at no charge. Brianu, you have morals and I applaud you, sir. Michael
ha... thanks. but I definitely wasn't looking to pick any fights, particularly with john m esq. it seems that perhaps at some point in this thread both our words may have been misconstrued a bit. and understandably, the feelings that stories such as garrett's provoke, especially if you've been there, naturally tend to get a person going with some strong language in general as well. any apology was just to jm for seeming to come across as offended when I wasn't. so far as lawyers, they monopolize too much of my week, so I'm sticking with phonographs here on out... haven't seen you on here much lately mike, find anything interesting lately in the wild with better luck than garrett's?
I will send you a p.m. Michael

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Hi Garret:

I noted, from your screen-shot of the ad, that the seller stated, "$275 obo." That, to me, means he was planning on running this sale as an auction from the start, regardless of what he lead you to believe.

Interestingly, the one gramophone I sold on craigslist a few years back was initially flagged down because I put obo (or best offer) in the ad. A craigslist staff-member sent me an email, referring me to this page --

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/faq#auction

From what I can see, auctions are still prohibited, but the rule, which does not appear in the site's terms of use page, is only enforced on a hit or miss basis. Since it is hidden away in the list of FAQs, almost no one knows about it.

In any event, whenever I see an ad with "or best offer," I just pass over it. If it's obvious that the seller is trying to run an auction (no specified price), I'll hit the "Prohibited" button and flag it. It takes something like 20 flags before the ad is pulled.

Hopefully, you'll find another 194 "with you name on it" before too long. As for the 194 seller, I'm a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around."
I always just assumed that OBO, or best offer, simply meant the seller was negotiable - if he can't get his, say, $500 asking price, he'll take the best offer he can get even though it might be a good deal less. so far as those craigslist auctions... I see these things listed repeatedly, with no price listed, or $1, but when you read the description it asks for offers saying all will be considered and the highest would win it... I never see these things pulled because the same ones keep being relisted.