Edisonic and Long Playing Consoles Survey

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edisonic and Long Playing Consoles Survey

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote:I found a 2-C Long Play Console on Craigslist this week. Mechanically excellent, it was, unfortunately, in a very wrecked cabinet. The whole top had turned various shades of white as if it had gotten water damaged, with amateurish repairs attempted afterward. Therefore, this is to report info on a scrapped machine. The mechanics were removed in one piece. I intend to keep them that way and simply reinstall them, as is, in another cabinet.

1) What is the model? Long Playing console: 2-C

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? 851

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? NO

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? Gun-metal

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? Edisonic ("Square" weight style), LP

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? (Yes)

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? YES

8) Are there any other special attachments present: Double reproducer holder

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? NO

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? No sticker present.
Thank you, Kevin, I've entered your data into my spreadsheet.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Bump
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

1) What is the model? Schubert(CLT)

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? 1009

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? No

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? Looks like a gold/brass color, everyone else is saying gun metal but i was told mine a very early one almost a prototype that built in the edisonic fashion but with the older repro, see #5-- EDIT maybe more nickel color..... NEW EDIT: its probably the gun metal you guys are talkin about

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? Dance with Edisonic hardware, serial no F 5159 9N S

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? Short

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? No

8) Are there any other special attachments present: Such as; tone arm adapters, other soundboxes or reproducers, single or double reproducer holder, needle cups, or any other interesting additional features? Please list each with any observed manufacturer identification, if possible.
NO

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? Please describe in detail with location if affixed to Phonograph. NO

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? "Cabinet Factory No.???" No. 39 (Inside top of cabinet = "The New Edison")
Last edited by chewy on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you Aric, and welcome to our community. I've entered your information into my spreadsheet. If you haven't already done so, please read through both this thread and Mindy's inventory thread (viewtopic.php?p=96869#p96869) in their entirety. You'll find probably all you'll ever need to know about the Edisonics and Long Playing Phonograph models.

I'm interested in seeing an image of your reproducer. I'm not sure why someone would tell you it is "...almost a prototype..." and would like to know more. The "NS" part of the serial number refers to a "New Standard" reproducer. The older type Diamond Disc Reproducer, and most common, was henceforth referred to as the "Regular" reproducer in Edison documentation.

The "Dance" reproducer (stamped "LD" in the serial number for "loud dance") was introduced in mid-1926, oddly around the same time period as the Long Playing records and Phonograph were being introduced to the public (Jan. 1926). The L-P Phonographs were supplied with a special L-P reproducer, and a "New Standard" reproducer (aka an "Edisonic" reproducer). Hence the Dance reproducer was only marketed for about a year, and was quickly eclipsed by the New Standard reproducer.

There were 2 variations of the New Standard reproducer, in that the floating weight was 2 different shapes - one was "round" and the other "flat-sided". The "flat-sided" weight reproducer was the earlier version of the two, supplied with the L-P phonos, and the "round" was presumably supplied with the Edisonic Phonographs. This 2nd version was also available for purchase separately from dealers as an upgrade to existing Diamond Disc Phonographs.

Probably the best thread here about the different Diamond Disc Reproducers in use for the time period of the L-P and Edisonic models can be found by following this link: viewtopic.php?p=210513#p210513

I found a thread you might be interested in reading, that mentions the different reproducers in production 1926-27, and compares their performance to some degree, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24584&hilit=New+Standard+reproducer

As you can probably see, the official Edison Co. designations can easily be confused by contemporary collectors and especially dealers.

There were 3 finishes applied to the Diamond Disc Reproducers of the time period: Gold Plated, Nickel Plated, and Antique Finish (aka gun-metal).

The "Cabinet Factory No." refers to a paper sticker that was attached to the inside of the horn compartment of all DD Phonograph models. Yours wouldn't be visible without removing the grille, but don't go through the trouble if you don't want.

Cheers,
Fran

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

fran604g wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am Thank you Aric, and welcome to our community. I've entered your information into my spreadsheet. If you haven't already done so, please read through both this thread and Mindy's inventory thread (viewtopic.php?p=96869#p96869) in their entirety. You'll find probably all you'll ever need to know about the Edisonics and Long Playing Phonograph models.

I'm interested in seeing an image of your reproducer. I'm not sure why someone would tell you it is "...almost a prototype..." and would like to know more. The "NS" part of the serial number refers to a "New Standard" reproducer. The older type Diamond Disc Reproducer, and most common, was henceforth referred to as the "Regular" reproducer in Edison documentation.

The "Dance" reproducer (stamped "LD" in the serial number for "loud dance") was introduced in mid-1926, oddly around the same time period as the Long Playing records and Phonograph were being introduced to the public (Jan. 1926). The L-P Phonographs were supplied with a special L-P reproducer, and a "New Standard" reproducer (aka an "Edisonic" reproducer). Hence the Dance reproducer was only marketed for about a year, and was quickly eclipsed by the New Standard reproducer.

There were 2 variations of the New Standard reproducer, in that the floating weight was 2 different shapes - one was "round" and the other "flat-sided". The "flat-sided" weight reproducer was the earlier version of the two, supplied with the L-P phonos, and the "round" was presumably supplied with the Edisonic Phonographs. This 2nd version was also available for purchase separately from dealers as an upgrade to existing Diamond Disc Phonographs.

Probably the best thread here about the different Diamond Disc Reproducers in use for the time period of the L-P and Edisonic models can be found by following this link: viewtopic.php?p=210513#p210513

I found a thread you might be interested in reading, that mentions the different reproducers in production 1926-27, and compares their performance to some degree, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24584&hilit=New+Standard+reproducer

As you can probably see, the official Edison Co. designations can easily be confused by contemporary collectors and especially dealers.

There were 3 finishes applied to the Diamond Disc Reproducers of the time period: Gold Plated, Nickel Plated, and Antique Finish (aka gun-metal).

The "Cabinet Factory No." refers to a paper sticker that was attached to the inside of the horn compartment of all DD Phonograph models. Yours wouldn't be visible without removing the grille, but don't go through the trouble if you don't want.

Cheers,
Fran

oh i must of forgot i thought it was in there my cabinet sticker = no. 39 and yes they didnt tell me "almost" thats just how my brain interpreded it to the keyboard but what you described was way more accurate way of what i was told. I am 40 and doing all this out of my monthly sandwhich money but everyone has been very kind and the information stack has by far been the largest ive ever encountered on any subject besides space- and ive been cramming 50 years of research and collecting into 10 days. And made spectacular progress on both fronts. I just left a message for the edison museum, i gotta get their schubert serial. I gotta trace the first 10 serials, mine being the 9th (1009). Thanks for the warm welcome.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thanks, I did notice the decal was "The New Edison Phonograph", that's actually what piqued my interest in the first place over on the APS FB group.

Best,
Fran

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

maybe its more nickel than brass color.....

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Hi folks,

As many of you are no doubt aware, forum member pughphonos has compiled a serial number listing of extant Edisonic Beethovens and Schuberts. After a recent conversation with him over at his post http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=16654, we both thought it might be a good idea to take his survey to the next level, and begin to document specific features that are found on them.

After considering which questions I might think pertinent for the study of them, I thought it might be prudent to expand a survey to include the Long Playing models as well, before any more examples disappear forever.

In theory, this survey doesn't necessarily duplicate his work, and our hope is that those whom participated in the earlier list, will also take the time to submit additional information here.

As with the other surveys I maintain here at the forum, I will keep a detailed spreadsheet, and I will extend my research to include other sources of information, and the data will eventually be shared with the collecting/historical community for their use as a tool to help understand these archaic, and beloved Edison Diamond Disc Phonographs.

Please answer the following questions as accurately as possible:

1) What is the model? Schubert(CLT), Beethoven(BN), Long Playing console: 1-C, 2-C, 3-C, 4-C.

NEW ADDITIONAL QUESTION 5-21-2021:
1a) If reporting a Beethoven or Schubert, is the decal at the rear of the turntable compartment "The Edisonic", or "The New Edison Phonograph"?

2) What is the serial number on the dataplate? "?????"

3) Is there a speed control knob present in the left hand corner of the motor-plate? "YES/NO"

4) What finish is present on the hardware and reproducer? "Gun-metal", "Gold", "Nickel"

5) Which reproducer(s) are present? "Regular", "Edisonic", "LP", "78 (or lateral) Adapter"

6) Does your Phonograph (Schubert/Beethoven owners) have the Long and Short gearing present? "YES/NO"

7) Does your Phonograph have the "10 and 12 inch" buttons present? "YES/NO"

8) Are there any other special attachments present: Such as; tone arm adapters, other soundboxes or reproducers, single or double reproducer holder, needle cups, or any other interesting additional features? Please list each with any observed manufacturer identification, if possible.

9) Are there any original documents or dealer identification with, or fastened to, your Phonograph? Please describe in detail with location if affixed to Phonograph.

10) What is the Cabinet Factory No. (if a sticker is present inside the horn compartment)? "Cabinet Factory No.???"

I appreciate your participation, and welcome any additional comments of interest.

Thank you,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

1a) Decal: "The Edisonic"
2) Serial number: 5451
3) Speed knob?: No
4) Finish: Gun Metal
5) Reproducer: Edisonic
6) LP Attachment? No
7) 10"/12" buttons? No
8) Additional Features? No
9) Documents/Dealer ID? No
10) Cabinet Factory: #18

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 am 1a) Decal: "The Edisonic"
2) Serial number: 5451
3) Speed knob?: No
4) Finish: Gun Metal
5) Reproducer: Edisonic
6) LP Attachment? No
7) 10"/12" buttons? No
8) Additional Features? No
9) Documents/Dealer ID? No
10) Cabinet Factory: #18

George P.
Thank you George! I'll enter any new changes.

Best,
Fran