Packing and shipping question--the governor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Packing and shipping question--the governor

Post by jboger »

I try to anticipate any damage that may occur while a machine is en route to its new home and then take steps accordingly. What about the governor? My concern is one or both pivots might get broken if the package were dropped. Would it be advisable to completely remove the governor and wrap it separately? Of course the mainspring would be let down first. And or course the new owner w/should be asked before shipping the item.

Perhaps this is not really a problem? Any thoughts or experience with this sort of thing?

John

Victor VI

Re: Packing and shipping question--the governor

Post by 52089 »

I've shipped a few dozen machines over the years and I've never done anything special with the governor. I've had no issues to date.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

That's consistent with the few machines I've shipped so far too, but then I thought I should be concerned. The pivots do look rather solid, so maybe not to worry.

Thanks.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The governor doesn’t have enough weight/mass to break a pivot bearing.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Anyone else have a clue how I can pack my Fireside? The case makes pretty good sense, but I don't really know what to do for the rest and don't want to mess it up.
Thanks everyone,
Gunnar

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:00 pm Anyone else have a clue how I can pack my Fireside? The case makes pretty good sense, but I don't really know what to do for the rest and don't want to mess it up.
Thanks everyone,
Gunnar
I would suggest you search the board for "pack a machine" or "packing a machine". There are previous threads on the topic, and possibly Youtube videos too.