Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the "DeLuxe" line (1923-24)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Re: Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the "DeLuxe" line (1923-24)

Post by EarlH »

That really turned out nice for you Ralph. The guy that helped you out with it really did a nice job. It's hard to find people willing to do work like that, and customers willing to put up with how long it sometimes takes! Pathé made some really interesting machines, and they turn up in the Minneapolis area but I hardly have ever seen them here in North Iowa. I'm sure glad you have it done now, so now you'll have to start another huge project.... Ha!

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Thanks for touching base, Earl. Yes, the guy who did the work is a gem and it's an incredible blessing. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, the cabinet was in my folks' house for many decades (Alpena, Michigan)--and was probably in the house when they moved there in 1952. We know that the fellow who built the house in the early 1920s was French-Canadian--and one of the adornments of the house was its glass French doors. I have this theory that the Pathé phonograph was also bought by him as an affirmation of his French identity. Hard to believe it would have been him who stripped out the works, painted it white, and used it for book storage.

As for another project, "Never say never," as they say. But I have no desire to get another phonograph. As you know, I have a 1921 Lyon & Healy reproducing baby grand that needs my hobby funds in the months/years ahead (the mechanism is still gimpy).

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

alang wrote:Ralph, that looks really great, an amazing transformation. It may not be 100% accurate, but it was nearly beyond saving and now it’s a beautiful and functional phonograph. I would have chosen a different color felt and grille cloth though. ;)

Andreas
Hi Andreas -- Thanks!!! Yes, much more than a restoration, as there was little to restore.

Go ahead and give me your choices on color felt and grille cloth. I may in time repent of the barn red--but no guarantees!
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Congratulations on your wonderful project! I hope you'll consider printing out your restoration process and storing it along with photos in the cabinet!
Always enjoy the music!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Congratulations on your wonderful project! I hope you'll consider printing out your restoration process and storing it along with photos in the cabinet!
Always enjoy the music!
Bob
Great suggestion, Bob. I will definitely do that; I did it for my Schubert Edisonic, come to think of it.

Good to touch base again with several good friends I have here. You and many others on the TMF are such selfless gentlemen.

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Before I call it a night, I will provide a link to a Pathé disc I just posted on my You Tube account--as played on my model 27. Apologies for the substandard camera quality--but the recording is still fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFQIh0mNek&t=6s

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Hey, Maria, after seeing the before photos, I never thought you would really finish this project. Projects this big tend to be put away, for good! Especially when your working multiple jobs! When I saw the finished product, no one could call this cabinet plain jane. It's rare to see red mahogany restored to this level of elegance. I used to own a Model J, and a beautiful Model T Gothic, sometimes called Tudor model. Kind of sorry I sold that one. Mine were the Actuelle types. I think I own some opera LPs from the 50s by you. Marc.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Mission Impossible! But what a lovely outcome. That phonograph ought to be a real prize, and it sounds wonderful.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

pughphonos wrote:
alang wrote:Ralph, that looks really great, an amazing transformation. It may not be 100% accurate, but it was nearly beyond saving and now it’s a beautiful and functional phonograph. I would have chosen a different color felt and grille cloth though. ;)

Andreas
Hi Andreas -- Thanks!!! Yes, much more than a restoration, as there was little to restore.

Go ahead and give me your choices on color felt and grille cloth. I may in time repent of the barn red--but no guarantees!
I kinda like it and it's easily changeable, so no harm- no foul there.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

marcapra wrote:Hey, Maria, after seeing the before photos, I never thought you would really finish this project. Projects this big tend to be put away, for good! Especially when your working multiple jobs! When I saw the finished product, no one could call this cabinet plain jane. It's rare to see red mahogany restored to this level of elegance. I used to own a Model J, and a beautiful Model T Gothic, sometimes called Tudor model. Kind of sorry I sold that one. Mine were the Actuelle types. I think I own some opera LPs from the 50s by you. Marc.
Hey Marc, if I could have Maria's talent I'd take all the other challenges she faced: career, fame, fortune, good figure, and good times on the Christina. Only thing I'd decline outright is the "dead since 1977" part.

Yes, isn't that red mahogany lovely? That's why I was tempted to use barn red felt--just seemed appropriate.

Here's Callas in "red elegance" for you. Have a good week.
Attachments
Maria in red.jpg