Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the "DeLuxe" line (1923-24)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Pathé Artcraft Sheraton phonograph

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Re: Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the "DeLuxe" line (1923-24)

Post by pughphonos »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Here's a model 27 in LA:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fu ... 95379.html
VERY interesting!!! Thanks for noticing this and posting. It shows the next phase of development of the Pathé phonographs in apparently the mid-1920s (ca. 1924-26)--apparently after the Actuelle cabinets had run out (at least this one doesn't look like a former Actuelle cabinet to me).

Shows the continued use of the "Pathol" oval horns.
Last edited by pughphonos on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Pathé Artcraft Sheraton phonograph

Post by estott »

pughphonos wrote:
Victrola-Monkey wrote:Here's a model 27 in LA:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fu ... 95379.html
VERY interesting!!! Thanks for noticing this and posting. It shows the next phase of development of the Pathé phonographs in apparently the mid-1920s (ca. 1924-26)--apparently after the Actuelle cabinets had run out (at least this one doesn't look like a former Actuelle cabinet to me).

Shows the continued use of the "Pathol" oval horns.
Probably superior to the usual american Pathéphone horns which tend to be one piece of curved plywood

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Just want to let all interested know that I have just spoken with a first-rate cabinet restorer who is also a phonograph collector--a good friend of mine--and he will take on the project of restoring my Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the 1923-24 DeLuxe line (the line that used up the old Actuelle cabinets while reverting to standard Pathé tone arms). I'm dropping it off with him tomorrow.

Talk about a Christmas present! In the months ahead I'll be able to post photos here of the restored phonograph--which as far as I can tell is the only surviving example.

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

As I mentioned back in December 2015, I was delighted when a wonderful Chicago-area friend of mine (a phonograph collector and restorer) agreed to take on the rebuilding project for my Pathé Sheraton model 27 of the 1923-24 "Deluxe" line. Not restoration but rather rebuilding, as all I had was a cabinet entirely stripped of works and many of its internal configurations only apparent through indentations where the motor board used to be.

As mentioned above, the rebuilding was enabled by my discovery of a drawing of the model on E-bay; I had never (before or since) been able to find the drawing incorporated into a published advertisement. Clearly this model was only issued very briefly, so as to exhaust the remaining Actuelle Sheraton cabinets (if that).

My friend is a modest, careful man and he may never agree to my identifying him. But he has authorized me to release photos of the rebuilding in progress, which went on from December 2015 until December 2017. Attached are photos from the very start of the process.

In order to do the rebuild, we ended up using parts of three other phonographs (to add to the white-painted cabinet I had). First, I located a very damaged Pathé Actuelle Sheraton, which at least had the full-length legs (the white painted cabinet had had its legs cut short). Then, I bought two upright Pathé phonographs from the late 1910s---a model XII, serial no. 3378 (for the motor and turntable) and a model VII, serial no. 71269 (for the horn; the turntable and motor were already gone).

Below are photos of the machines that donated their parts; and the first photos of the stripping of the white-painted cabinet in late 2015, early 2016.

More to come!
Attachments
Mid December 2015.JPG
Mid December 2015 b.JPG
Mid January 2016.JPG
Pathe model VII 71269.jpg
Pathe model VII 71269.jpg (1.77 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
mode 12 3378.JPG
mode 12 3378.JPG (17.27 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Looks like an exciting project!

Please keep this thread updated so I can follow along.
Vince
Youtube

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Absolutely!

I'm going to post just a couple more photos of the cabinet before stripping and rebuilding. You can see where the record shelves used to be on the far left of the cabinet; on the right end you can see the indentations where the motor board used to sit. These clues were of course very important in the rebuild.
Attachments
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

This photo, taken after the stripping had begun, gives a better view of the base of the cabinet, showing the hole that was required when these cabinets were originally created for the Actuelle works--as on the Actuelle Sheraton the raise-able lid was on the LEFT and was supported on its right end by a large support that partly passed under the machine when the lid was closed.
Attachments
IMG_2336.JPG

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

OK, it's time to reveal what the rebuilt phonograph looks like today! See attached photos.

I am forever indebted to the very good friend who did this work and also made arrangements for the creation of an authentic grille; he also sent off the Pathé motor (taken from another machine) to George Vollema for refurbishing.

About all I had to do was select grille cloth and turntable felt. As you can see, I could not resist going in the direction of "barn red."

Oh, I also bought some modern teardrop-shaped pull knobs, as that is what the Actuelle Sheraton had (this model's immediately predecessor) and what the succeeding mid-1920s Sheraton model 27 had (pictured in the middle of this thread). However, the Actuelle Sheraton pull knobs were gold-plated, whereas the descriptions I have found for the model 27 of the "DeLuxe" line (1923-24) say that the hardware was all nickel. I cheated a bit and used antique bronze, which goes better with the wood.

I am proud to own what is probably a one-of-a-kind machine. I know these 1920s Pathé spring phonographs have little market value. I also know that my model represents an evolutionary retreat and not advancement; in order to clear out the Actuelle Sheraton cabinets, Pathé simply equipped them with hardware from the pre-Actuelle era.

Still, for my friend and me it was an interesting archaeological project to rebuild this odd duck--and there was a challenge and charm in doing so. It appealed to the romantic in us; not all values are keyed to the market.

I can also now play Pathé vertical-cut discs--which many of you know is very hard to do without a Pathé sapphire stylus.

Later today I'll link a You Tube video here, showing how it sounds.

Ralph
Attachments
102_4383.JPG
102_4384.JPG
102_4387.JPG
102_4382.JPG
102_4380.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Ralph, that looks really great, an amazing transformation. It may not be 100% accurate, but it was nearly beyond saving and now it’s a beautiful and functional phonograph. I would have chosen a different color felt and grille cloth though. ;)

Andreas