Shameless cylindrical self-promotion

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
WDC
Victor IV

Shameless cylindrical self-promotion

Post by WDC »

Well, it took about 9 months but the second Caruso cylinder is finally available. The title is Tu non mi vuoi più bene which is the first of the three known songs that were issued on cylinders.
I thought a long time about the label and box color, then decided to remain with corporate identity and use different color that would easily distinguish this one from the previous Tosca release.

Because it's a plastic cylinder you can play this one even with a Diamond B reproducer which is quite an experience with that voice. It has been a real passion project for me and I think it turned out quite well. The video shows it on my AT Graphophone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA75JDZxwtM[/youtube]

The Berlin Phonograph Works

bostonmike1
Victor I

Re: Shameless cylindrical self-promotion

Post by bostonmike1 »

There is nothing shameless about this in the least-----you are a wizard!!How can I buy one? Michael How does it sound on the player with the Max-A motor and thyristor I asked you about?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bostonmike1 wrote:How can I buy one?
Contact information and pricing can be found on the Berlin Phonograph Works page, after clicking ‘How to get’. (I’d link it directly, but since Norman is using frames, you’d lose the navigation if I were to do that.)

According to current conversion rates, € 69 = $ 95.4301 (US) and € 8 = $ 11.0647 (US). On the latter, I’d probably round up to give him the extra penny. :D

Norman also states that PayPal is accepted.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I recently had the chance to hear the first cylinder and it was astounding. I plan to buy both. A great way to get these cylinders without the fear of having them shipped and paying gigantic prices. Thanks for doing this project. It's a great thing!

Dan

richardh

Post by richardh »

An impressive result Norman. It sounds really good and looks good to. I think it was a good idea to have a subtle difference in the case colour to distinguish the first two releases. Without giving away any secrets how did you decide on the make up of the material used for the cylinder. Did you simply go for a durable plastic and do some tests as to which worked best?

I hope your next project will be to venutre into repro Edison DDs. I have a few titles I would love to suggest and I am sure there would be a good market for some of the rarer titles...perhaps a long player of two :)

Again, congratulations :D

RJ 8-)

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Yes Norman, a great piece of work! Have you done anymore work on your Blank Cylinder Record Project?

Aaron

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Michael, I thought a period machine would be the best thing to present this new cylinder, but here's a transfer with my PHR player: http://www.box.net/shared/30je5piu2y

Thanks, David for the link help and Dan for the nice feedback. I am glad that it got so much attention.

Richard, the material is hard plastic which is quite close to the lacquer of a Diamond Disc. So, partially it is based on the old techniques. With the box I think it was really better to keep the cooperate identity throughout the whole series. It's quite fun making new cylinder labels.

Aaron, not yet but I am working at it too. The Caruso and my PHR have eaten up most of the time but a mold for making blanks now exists. Of course, I don't want to use candle wax like someone already does. ;)