Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Re: Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Post by Aaron »

Heres a cylinder that i grabbed just because of its color. In person this cylinder is red in color...STRANGE!!
Attachments
I don't have a title for this one...sorry....
I don't have a title for this one...sorry....
MVC-017S.JPG (59.26 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

And another one by the International Phonograph Company. Title: Papa, Mama - Rheinländer (Orchestra)

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Just went through my files and found three pictures of a North American cylinder with paper title end that went on eBay over 8 years ago. It was no. 191: Battery B March, by the Fifth Regiment Band. However, the condition was rather moldy as you can see on the small pictures.
brown1.jpg
brown1.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
brown2.jpg
brown2.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
brown3.jpg
brown3.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Aaron wrote:Heres the next one.
I think that goutte de rosee would translate as "A drop of dew" or "Dewdrop".

Jim

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:I think that goutte de rosee would translate as "A drop of dew" or "Dewdrop".
Jim,

Google’s language tools agree with you, although they opt to write it as ‘dew drop’. Personally, I would lean towards the former, since ‘de’ is ‘of’, and the most literal translation (to the best of my poor knowledge of la langue française (the French language) is ‘drop of dew’.

Do you use much French in Toronto? (I’d double-checked Wikipedia to confirm my belief that French was widely spoken in Toronto, and was surprised to read that “While English is the predominant language spoken by Torontonians, many other languages have considerable numbers of local speakers, including French, Italian, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Tagalog, and Hindi. Chinese and Italian are the second and third most widely spoken languages at work. As a result, the city's 9-1-1 emergency services are equipped to respond in over 150 languages.”)

Also, in case anyone had not noticed—Aaron has been updating the first post in this thread as additional cylinders are added. Per his request, I edited the French title and added the translation—Aaron informed me last night that he would be away (with his laptop) until next Friday, although if he had internet access, we’d see him on the forum, and he requested that I watch over his cylinder post for him. :D

I’ve been following this thread since Aaron started it, and have enjoyed seeing everyone’s contributions so far, even though I don’t own any wax cylinders. However, in February, I was fortunate enough to be present for the recording of a wax cylinder at the MOCAPS meeting that I attended.

I look forward to seeing more of them. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Don't believe everything you read in Wiki ;) French is spoken in Toronto but there is certainly a lot more Cantonese, Italian and Portuguese spoken on the streets than French, although we have a sizeable Fracophone population. Now, once one goes to Northern Ontario you will hear a lot of French and Ottawa really is quite bilingual. My spoken French is not bad once I get rolling...or after a long weekend in Montreal... but I'm rusty.

Jim

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

On page 1, I have uploaded an early ad showing both Excelsior "Gloria" and "Gloriosa" Concert Phonographs. I also added title and number of my concert cylinder.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

What great looking machines. I especially like the Gloriosa, with the cutout in the case for the cylinder to slid on the mandrel. I can't say I've seen that design on any other machine before.
Thanks for posting them!