slightly O/T Edison Mimeograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

slightly O/T Edison Mimeograph

Post by phonophan79 »

I think A.B. Dick Co. sold Edison Mimeographs? I'm not sure... I just posted cause the thing looks pretty damn cool! :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0324526559

JohnM
Victor V

Re: slightly O/T Edison Mimeograph

Post by JohnM »

Edison's early Mimeograph consisted of a one-sheet-at-a-time stencil-in-a-frame printer and Edison's Electric Pen perforator. A.B. Dick licensed the invention within a couple of years and was the manufacturer and distributor after that. Eventually, stencil paper was developed that could be typed upon, so the pen became obsolete. The eBay Mimeograph is an early rotary model. I've had a couple of the 'Rotary Neostyle' models over the years, but while I'm no authority, this one looks earlier . . . but maybe not? I've certainly never seen the domed leather case! Neat!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

richardh

Post by richardh »

It looks great...but what does it do? Nothing in the ebay description explains anything about how it works or what function it performs....can anyone enlighten me :?:

RJ 8-)

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

richardh wrote:It looks great...but what does it do? Nothing in the ebay description explains anything about how it works or what function it performs....can anyone enlighten me :?:

RJ 8-)

That's fairly easy, Richard. :)
A mimeograph was used for making copies on paper in small series. It was faster and easier to use than printing types.
There's a detailed article on Wikipedia about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimeograph

Actually, it can be a pretty dirty job to use of these machines!