Columbia GrafonolaDeLuxe "Lion's Head" Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Whittington
Victor Jr

Columbia GrafonolaDeLuxe "Lion's Head" Question

Post by Whittington »

Hi everyone,

I have a question about a phonograph I just bought and need to pick all the experts brains. It is a Columbia Grafonola DeLuxe with the "Lion's Head" carvings. I can't find much about this particular phonograph or it's value. What I have been told is that Columbia had two models out with this cabinet. One had a phonograph motor and the workings of a Regina music box as well and the other just had the phonograph. Mine is the second of the two just having the phonograph. I was also told that there are somewhere between 30-50 of these known to exist and that the majority of these are the kind with both phonograph and music box workings. That being said, is mine more valuable in that there are very few know in existence? If so, what is the general value of this machine in good original shape?

Does anyone have answers to these questions or any other information? I can't find anything else on it. Please help!

Thanks,

Jeff

ps. I will be selling this piece when I can establish a value and would be more than happy to send pictures or talk with anyone interested. Send me an email or message if you, or anyone you know, may be interested. Thanks again!

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Columbia GrafonolaDeLuxe "Lion's Head" Question

Post by JohnM »

The music box/phono combination is a Reginaphone Style 240. These are more desirable than the phonograph only because of the presence of the music box along with the Grafonola. While there may be more of the combo examples, they are still more valuable and desirable from a musical as well as a historical perspective (the transition from the music box to the phonograph as the predominant choice of mechanical music in the home). This is one of the relatively uncommon cases where scarcity does not particularly equate to value.

A slightly different example would be single selection 'Orchestral' Regina music boxes versus automatic changers -- the single-selection boxes are much fuller sounding than the changers, but the changers are valued more because they are changers.

Can anyone come up with a better example than that? Perhaps the painted bedplate Idelia vs. the copper oxidized finish Idelia . . . the former is a magnitude rarer than the latter.

I'm struggling here! Help me out! LOL!

Colder than a well digger's keester here in Chicago!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

people often post inquiries here and on similar web sites simply looking for the value of a machine they recently found that they simply plan to resell, and that's basically the extent of their participation or interest (in the machine, let alone this forum). with all due respect, and I can only speak for myself although I'm certain others feel this way, this site offers a unique forum for discussion among enthusiasts and collectors regarding antique phonographs and records - an exchange of information and whatnot... it's really not an online version of a collectibles' value guide along the lines of kovels or some similar paperback available in your local bookstore.

there's a wealth of information available online on phonographs and their value, particularly when it comes to fairly well known, and higher end, collectible machines such as your columbia... try google or yahoo. beyond that, I realize that a lot of people here simply enjoy sharing and showing the knowledge that they've acquired over the years through research, patience and gradual experience, so you might get some more information from those generous individuals on the machine and its manufacturer, but so far as its monetary value, that will vary considerably based on its condition first and foremost, as well as its location, and what if any restoration has been done and the quality and correctness of the work, etc. at the very least, value estimates will be pretty meaningless coming from anyone who hasn't seen it. so posting photos might help. additionally, I'm sure you're well aware of what you paid for it, so that should give you some vague starting point in terms of its market value.

Whittington
Victor Jr

Post by Whittington »

Thank you both for your replies. John, I understand exactly what you are saying and no, I can't think of any other examples! :D

As for your post Brian, I understand completely what it appears to be when I join a forum site and post about the value of a machine. I can assure you, however, that I will be here for the long haul. I began collecting phonos about a year ago and do in fact have a couple of good books for reference. And I may use google and yahoo more than about anybody in the world!! :D That being said though, I couldn't find any information at all on this machine with regards to the numbers produced and consequently, the value. I checked for hours and came up with a handful of photos and one or two for sale. But that is it. I am happy that is the case though, as now I have found a great forum for learning everything phonograph related and may be able to attain some valuable information first hand from collectors and restorers alike.

As for the phonograph in question, I am only selling it because of I have a child on the way and I got such a good price on it. (I think :) ) I found it at an auction in Indiana and after discussing it with my wife, won the auction via a phone bid. So we hopped in the car and drove to Indiana from Columbus Ohio to pick it up and here I am a week later trying to get information so I can decide it's value, and then decide on the best place to sell it whether in a shop, phonograph website, or Ebay. I am not too concerned with getting top dollar as I could use the money sooner rather than later. So I thank you both for your replies and hope this thread can continue to provide us all with information on this beautiful phonograph in case others come across our paths in the future.

I am not sure if what I paid for this is indicative of it's value though because I have been told that this may be a hard to find phonograph and that it is collectible. I won the bid at $165.00 and with sales tax the total came to $176.55. With gas and food added in, my total cost including the entire trip was less than $250. If it isn't worth more than that, at least I had fun on a road trip for a day with my wife and learned about this phonograph in the process. If it is worth more, however, someone else will probably get a good deal as well as I am going to sell it due to the new baby and also a lack of room. (I have several other phonographs among other antiques all over the place and the wife agreed on this one to resell it :? )

Thanks again and I hope to hear more!

Regards,

Jeff