strange Edison cylinder in cabinet? - auction in Boise, ID

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

strange Edison cylinder in cabinet? - auction in Boise, ID

Post by phonophan79 »

This craigslist ad is for an upcoming auction in Boise, ID... is this a real Edison made machine or a Frankenphone? I don't know much about these Edison Cylinder cabinets but I've never seen this one and I don't see any Edison logos?

http://boise.craigslist.org/clt/1247624210.html

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: strange Edison cylinder in cabinet? - auction in Boise, ID

Post by MordEth »

Antique Cylinder Record Player, Floor Model, Highest Bid Takes (Boise)

Reply to: sale-f6zvj-1247624210@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-06-30, 3:58PM MDT

Edison, model D, just cleaned it up and working, hand crank on the side, a nice unusual piece of furniture, with 3 record cylinders. brought to Main St. Auction in Boise. Will sell to highest bidder............this Saturday between 10:00 and 12 noon (7-4-09), west end auction ring at the Main St. Auction.
  • It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.

Image Image

Craigslist PostingID: 1247624210
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Frankenphone! Looks like they/ve put the works from an Edison Standard into a cabinet.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I think this may be the same machine I posted about a month or so ago. It was on Craigslist and the ad was vague because the seller didn't have a clue about what he had. I spoke with him on the phone for nearly an hour to determine what he had. Could have bought it for $200. I posted it to a couple of boards to try to help him sell it, but I guess no one did so it is being auctioned. It had a C, H, and a recorder with it, too.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

JohnM wrote:I think this may be the same machine I posted about a month or so ago. It was on Craigslist and the ad was vague because the seller didn't have a clue about what he had.
John,

I searched for your previous post, and unfortunately, I didn’t capture the Craigslist listing. I think that based on that post, though, you’re probably right—it didn’t sell the first time around, and so the seller’s trying to sell it again.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

The works look Edison-ish, however, I don't recognize it as being any of the common machines found due to the location of the belt with respect to the mandrel.

Could it be the works from an Ediphone/dictiphone???????
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

IIRC, it's a Fireside.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan