What got you started in the hobby?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GrafonolaG50
Victor II

What got you started in the hobby?

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I know this is not about a specific machine, but I am curious as to how everyone became interested in these old machines.
What got me interested in disc machines was a simple, single sided, 10" Victrola record that had a violin solo by Maude Powell on it. Since I had an old record, I figured I would need an old machine to go with it. I asked for an acoustic machine for Christmas that year. and my collection has grown since then. As for cylinders, it was a Youtube video of a Blue Amberol copy of "Listen to the Mocking Bird" being played on an Edison Standard. I wish I had this record, but as of now, I still do not.

emerson
Victor III

Re: What got you started in the hobby?

Post by emerson »

I wanted a Hurdy Gurdy, found a Celestina crank organette----took it to The Mechanical Music Museum up in New York State. Was dazzled by the extent of things there and was told about The Music Box Club, joined and bought a Criterion upright music box from Marty and Elise Roegnik--when they lived in Conn. and then went to The Music Box Show. Found a small little Emerson record and boy did it snowball---and I've been suffering ever since. Ha Ha

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Found a very beat up Victor VV-80 in the town dump - Union County New Jersey - when I was 12 ....... And it worked !!

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Sunday was record day at our house. Old Hebrew Cantorials, Yiddish comedy, etc. Well, the family phonograph seized up and was relegated to the garage. I, being the curious child that I was, took my tool kit out to the garage (never give a child a tool kit unless you want them to use it!). A few twists of a screwdriver and squirts from the oil can and it sprung to life! Been hooked ever since. That was 1974 at the ripe old age of 10!

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

The acquisition of my Great Grandfather's Diamond Disc records in 1983 did it for me. His Diamond Disc Phonograph had been donated to the local historical society years previously in the late 1960's to raise money for one of their projects. This machine was located in a small upstairs bedroom of his Sears bungalow and I remember it as a young child. We were not allowed to touch "Father's Edison" so naturally we did. My older brother was taller than me and was able to work the mechanism while I was left to stand on the open record compartment door! Anyway, the phono was gone but the discs remained under the eaves of the attic and came home with me when they were being removed to be thrown out. I thought they were too interesting and substantial to be discarded. For years they sat, no way to play them till all the boxes caved in the metal shelving they were stored on in the garage. So, what did I do ? I bought my first antique phono to play them, a table top Columbia Grafonola! :o Thankfully, my Great Aunt advised me that "Father's records can not be played on that thing" it must be an Edison. Not until 2005 did I finally find a Diamond Disc Phonograph at a local barn sale and after looking it over and knowing nothing about it, I ran home for one of Great Grand Dad's records. The thing sounded amazing just as it sat untouched for years. It had to come home with me. From this point in 2005 to now we went from two phonos to forty.
Mike

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

When I was 16 (only 3 years ago), I went to a gas station out in the boonies near my house and apparently the people who own the gas station used to be antique collectors/swindlers. They have a display/antique shop in the back of the gas station, but everything is priced so high, its really only a display room! In the back of the store was an early VE-XVI in walnut. I had never seen something so interesting and was fascinated at the amount of technology they had during that time. Of course the machine was priced at $850, and being new to this, I almost paid that! (They assured me that it was not going below $850) Fortunately I didn't, but not long after, a lovely little VV 2-55 Orthophonic portable followed me home.

Then I heard a Helen Kane record and well..you know that classic 1920's sound got me! I've been obsessed ever since :)

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Just FYI, there is at least one other thread here on this topic:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... father%27s

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

I remember going to a large local antique fair when I was six years old and I saw a booth filled to the brim with antique phonographs and records. I was always an eccentric kid and loved history, and these machines and the music they produced absolutely captivated me. My mom bought me three little wonder records as a souvenir for a dollar apiece. Ever since then I have been slowly growing my collection. :D

-Steve

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

When I was in high school, a friend sent me a tape recording of some old records he liked while at a summer camp. So, off to a swap meet I went and discovered acoustic records for 20 to 25 cents apiece. An elderly lady had a VV-50 for sale near where we lived in California for #25.00 so that got the hobby going back in 1969 for me.

Since then, my most enjoyable moments have been sharing the records and machines with others and exchanging correspondence on this forum.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

I started college in the early 70's as a Music Major-- ended up majoring in Special Education-- but never got too far away from music. While I was in school my parents bought a small weekend farmette in The Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and started attending weekend farm auctions. When I graduated from college, I combined their interest in antiques and my interest in music-- musical antiques. My first machine (I still have it) was an English Victor model 130. Then an Edison Home, then a Victor E, then a Victor M, then Columbia BE...... You guys know how it goes :)

Brad Abell