Take a look at this!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

Take a look at this!

Post by Paal1994 »

Take a look at this record. This have to be on of the rarest Edison Records.
This is a 12" Needle Type Record featuring the great Giovanni Martinelli!
A bit expensive perhaps. But it's nothing more that you would end up paying for this super-rare Edison Record.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0350638224

Paal.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Take a look at this!

Post by Brad »

Is the value here in the artist or the record? Last week I bought a small box of records at a flea market that had 2 12" Edison Needle records (one of them being this same record).

I paid $5 for the box and bought it because of the Edisons. I am hoping a I got a good deal ;) ??
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Brad,

The value is the record. Edison made regular 78s a short period in 1929 as a last resort to save his record company.
The 10" records are rare and the 12" records are even rarer.

I must say, $5 for a box of 78s including two 12" Edison Needle Types was an incredibly good deal!
You are very lucky!

Paa.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think all Edison lateral records are pricey, but I'd imagine the 12" discs were a far more limited catalogue & probably didn't sell any where near as well as the 10" discs, due to their content. I guess they'd be the rarest of the rare!
You got a really good deal there Brad. What was the second discs title & artist?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Hi G-Shane,

The other record is numbered 47002 and is Pagliacci by Mario Basiola. Interesting is that even with the needle types, Edison kept the "L" and "R" side designations.

One of them was in the original sleeve which I have attached pictures.
Attachments
Needle type record sleeve
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Brad,

Very nice. The labels seem well-preserved , as well. Have you gotten a chance to listen to it?

I’ve always liked that sleeve design in conjunction with the Needle Type label.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Brad,

Thank you for podting pictures of the original sleeve.
I liked the advertising they put on this one.

Paal.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

gramophoneshane wrote:I think all Edison lateral records are pricey, but I'd imagine the 12" discs were a far more limited catalogue & probably didn't sell any where near as well as the 10" discs, due to their content. I guess they'd be the rarest of the rare!
You got a really good deal there Brad. What was the second discs title & artist?
I never thought I'd see the words "sell" and "well" in the same sentence as "Edison lateral records"! LOL!

Great find! I've never found any of those!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Does anyone know which company's system they used to record the needle types? I always get excited when listening to these Edison 78's. They have an amazing mid-range presence and do really sound wonderful an almost any old phonograph.

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Edison refused to pay any royalties to Western Electric (WE) for any of their electric recording technology, while Victor and Columbia were licensed to use the WE cutting systems. This explains his lack of exponential horns in his last acoustic DD machines as well as the fact that the Edisonic reproducer was not significantly different from his earlier reproducers. His own engineers developed their electric cutting systems, both for DD and lateral records. His engineers bemoaned the fact that Victor had access to light tracking force pickups developed by WE that could be used to play wax test cuts which Edison did not have. It made their process much more difficult as they had to take an educated guess as to whether they had a good "take" or not until the first metal or test pressings were produced from the wax masters. The biggest problem with Edison laterals is the poor shellac compound used to press them. Every one I have heard is abnormally noisy, including one or two mint pressings. Even playing the "land" or unmodulated surface or the unmodulated final groove is much noisier than heard from a contemporary Victor record. With regard to what electrical equalization was used during recording - so far as I know this is undocumented. WE had specified one or more EQs during their early years, but it's anybody's guess what, if anything, Edison used.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.