Reproducer/record compatibility

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Reproducer/record compatibility

Post by gramophoneshane »

larryh wrote:but didn't the period machines use that crystal cartridge?
Many did apparently, but all mine are magnetic. Out of about 30 separate pick-ups I have, only one has a crystal cartridge, and I have never tested it. I do have a cartridge that can with some other stuff I bought which I connected two wires to, inserted a needle an held it against a record, and to my ears, it sounded exactly the same as all the magnetic cartridges I use. I'm not sure there was any sound improvement with a crystal cartridge, not having much experience with them, but they certainly are lighter.
Of all the magnetic pick-ups I have most of them use exactly the same sized coil & other components, so they all sound the same to me. The only thing you need to do to them is replace 3 little bits of rubber & they're ready to go.
It doesn't seem that crystal was very popular out here for some reason. I've even got a 1952 radiogram with a Garrard turntable which uses the same magnetic cartridge that was being used 10-15 yrs earlier.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

From what I understand, it gets brutally hot in Australia, and that high heat will damage crystal pickups (and mikes). Perhaps that had something to do with it?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Larry I agree with your assessment of Edison acoustic discs and machines and totally agree with your comment on storage issues with the Edison discs. Regular 78s are heavy enough and take up plenty of space. Edisons are another matter entirely.

IMHO if you want to experience the best in acoustic sound reproduction play a clean Edison disc on laboratory model Edison. All the better if you have an acoustically sensitive room, hardwood floors, cement walls etcetera.