Willard Hodgin - Ugly Gal's Got Something Hard to Beat... !!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Willard Hodgin - Ugly Gal's Got Something Hard to Beat... !!

Post by brianu »

so, I don't talk much about the music or the discs as I'm more of a machine-oriented person when it comes to antique phonographs, but I was just sorting through a bunch of diamond discs and stumbled across this one, with the man hodgin singing to a banjo accompaniment, talking repeatedly about "makin love" and moving on to the next girl when the last one didn't work out, at the end moving on (from a former girl) to a girl named sally who's "not so beautiful and not so sweet, just a lovely gal thats got something hard to beat... she called up and said she's got a bottle of gin... well honey all right, would you step right in."

ha. and on an edison diamond disc. I thought the old man was far more conservative than that.

sorry... just needed to share, because I never much appreciated how people can spend so much money on certain discs that must be that special or out there... until I heard this one.

frankt
Victor Jr

Re: Willard Hodgin - Ugly Gal's Got Something Hard to Beat... !!

Post by frankt »

goes to show that people "made love" way back when just like we do nowadays, i've heard all women are beautiful in the dark! LOL :lol:

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

You need to find a copy of 'A Red-Headed Widow Was The Cause Of It All' -- also on DD -- by Willard!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

JohnM wrote:You need to find a copy of 'A Red-Headed Widow Was The Cause Of It All' -- also on DD -- by Willard!

John M
thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look. I recently came across a few hundred diamond discs and have been sorting through them thinking of selling a few, at least until I listen to them, then I lose most interest in letting them go.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

"Vampin Sal, the Sheba of Georgia" on Edison DD has similarly not so subtle lyrics of you give it a close listen. I too am really surprised. Shows by the mid 20s that the old man was definitely loosing his grip. I'm sure he'd have never approved such lyrics had he known about it.