Edison C-19 DD For Sale in Frederick MD

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Edison C-19 DD For Sale in Frederick MD

Post by Edisonfan »

While, doing my usual antiqueing, I found an Edison C-19 for $300.00 in an antique mall. It looks in really good condtion, although the record storage area needs some work. I did not try it out, as I already have a nice machine. However, if any one is interested in it. Stop by Cannon Hill Place Antiques, at 111 South Carol St. in Fredercik MD. It's sitting by the entrance door, on the right. As you walk in.

Paul

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Edison C-19 DD For Sale in Frederick MD

Post by OrthoSean »

Paul,

You may want to consider that machine for yourself. C-19s have a much bigger sized horn than your machine does and will sound much better. Just my .02 here, but once you go 250 sized horns, you never go back! ;)

Sean

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Yea, but it's a tad large for my place. Besides, I like my S-19.

Paul

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Paul,

The S-19 is a wonderful machine, but I'm with Sean as far as the 250 horn goes! :D There's a noticeable difference. Depending on the condition that's probably a fair price I think. Of course there's always the nice fixer-upper out there for short money waiting for the right collector.

Regards,
J.

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I have a similar issue between the two machines. But no question which machine can do better at reproduction. The C 19 wins hands down. What perhaps the writer here and I have in common is that because the rooms I have to listen to the Edison in are rather small and lively sounding, I am not sure that the S 19 which was in the room, wasn't a bit more listenable at a closer range. If I get back though the couple of openly connected rooms the larger machine sounds very lively and impressive. But something about the amount of very strong sound an edison is capable of can be rather wearing in a smaller area after a bit of listening. In fact in my usual set of switching around of things, I am going to once again move the Brunswick out and the S 19 back in to see if it provides the amount of sound sufficient for comfortable listening at a closer range. As I mentioned recently in another thread, comparing the three size edison machines in the large basement where they are currently, of course the larger machine is a hands down winner. But since the Brunswick is leaving me feeling a bit like I am missing something in both detail and length of recordings, I am going to give the Edison its place yet again. Its funny how hearing the Edisons for several years and working on diaphragms along the way, I have come to appreciate the realism they put forth and settling for less is somehow difficult now.

Here again I feel the level of the horn plays a bit of a part. In the C 19 the horn is high enough that it directs very strongly at your ears when seated. The Smaller S 19 the horn is a somewhat lower and give a more rounded effect which the C 19 will also if you stand in front of it. To me the shape of the horn is playing a part here, with it directing the sound upwards to a degree. If a large console were in the same room, it might be that the listenability of the machine would be superior to the taller version. And as mentioned the volume level of the sound is considerably louder on the larger machine also, a plus in large areas, and maybe a issue in smaller ones. Yes you can throttle them down with the mute if you wish, but the scale of the machine in the room also may play a part in which to choose?