"Victoria" needles??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

"Victoria" needles??

Post by gramophoneshane »

Can anybody read Swiss lol

I bought these needles on ebay the other day. They look similar to tungsten tip needles, but are they??
I'm not even sure if they're for acoustic or electric reproduction. The words "pick-up" appear in the text, so I'm guessing they were for an electric pick-up.
I notice it also says they're ideal for auto-changers, so I suppose that would indicate an electric pick-up too.
Has anyone used these before?
Attachments
victoria1.jpg
victoria2.jpg

Paal1994
Victor II

Re: "Victoria" needles??

Post by Paal1994 »

According to Google Translate the first page says

"Special Recommendations
Gently put Pick-Up on the disc. (I changed this from "Ask Pick-Up" to make it right)
Do not change the needle position until the end of the hearing of 60 pieces"

If you want to translate the second page, just type it in as French and translate it to English.

Paal.

richardh

Re: "Victoria" needles??

Post by richardh »

Yes, these look like the tungstone needles that victor made in the 20's and early 30's. And judging from how long they last I suppose they are probably the same material.

The important thing to remember with these semi permanent needles is not to remove them from the sound box or pick up until they are worn out - otherwise they act like a chizel on your disks. HOWEVER, if you do take it out and want to re-insert it then all you need to do is to play one disk (that you don't care about) all the way through to reform the needle.

Although for my phono I just have several soundboxes of which one has a tungstone needle in it so if I want to use thorns or steel I just change the soundbox rather than the needle.

Interesting find though.

RJ 8-)