Hope this one isn't a stupid question...Have to find out

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Whittington
Victor Jr

Hope this one isn't a stupid question...Have to find out

Post by Whittington »

So I hope I am not setting myself up again here but I have to ask another questions for the experts. I came up with an Excelsior Coin Op today in pretty good shape. It even has the top sign which I found many don't now days. Anyway, it is missing one major component though. You guessed it...I need the curved glass for the front to complete it. Can anyone tell me if that would be impossible to find and if so, how to go about getting a new one? Thanks again!

Jeff

ps. The coin chute on this one looks different than the pictures I have seen. Is it a replacement or do you think it is the original? Thanks again!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Hope this one isn't a stupid question...Have to find out

Post by gramophoneshane »

Great looking machine!
Being in Australia, I've got no idea how much luck you'd have finding an original replacement, but I don't think it will be easy.
I know it's impossible over here. I knew a fellow about 20 yrs ago who had to get one made, and it cost several hundred dollars. Apparently it's possible, but extremely expensive due to the curvature of the glass. I think if I ever found one out here minus the glass, I'd settle for a nice piece of perspex :)

Whittington
Victor Jr

Post by Whittington »

Thanks for the reply and information! That is pretty expensive for a piece of glass. I think it would be worth a couple hundred though to have this machine complete. Even if I can find an original, it would probably be more expensive than to have it made I would imagine.
Last edited by Whittington on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Whittington wrote:Thanks for the reply and information! That is pretty expensive for a piece of glass. Actually, more than I paid for the machine itself. I think it would be worth a couple hundred though to have this machine complete. Even if I can find an original, it would probably be more expensive than to have it made I would imagine.
I must say that I'm curious as to where you live, Whittington. Finding early "Monarchs" for less than $165, and "Excelsior" coin-ops for less than several hundred - - and in rapid succession - - taxes my credulity. :shock: Unless you're buying all this from a single owner who collected it decades ago, I'm ready to bestow the "Beginner's Luck" award today...

George P.

Whittington
Victor Jr

Post by Whittington »

Let's just say I live out in the sticks and my 9-5 job has taught me how to do extensive research. That, added to some random luck led me to these three machines. They are all barn finds so it has helped to preserve the originality of each machine. It has really made me wonder how many barns across America have hidden Class M's and Berliner Hand Crank Phonographs in them!! (If they are there, I will do my best to find them! :D )

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Jeff -
just Google 'bent glass' or 'curved glass' and a number of sources will come up. It's not all that expensive. Google is a wonderful research tool!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

phonogfp wrote:
Whittington wrote:Thanks for the reply and information! That is pretty expensive for a piece of glass. Actually, more than I paid for the machine itself. I think it would be worth a couple hundred though to have this machine complete. Even if I can find an original, it would probably be more expensive than to have it made I would imagine.
I must say that I'm curious as to where you live, Whittington. Finding early "Monarchs" for less than $165, and "Excelsior" coin-ops for less than several hundred - - and in rapid succession - - taxes my credulity. :shock: Unless you're buying all this from a single owner who collected it decades ago, I'm ready to bestow the "Beginner's Luck" award today...

George P.
ditto.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

LOL. I think Jeff's too smart to go broadcasting on the internet where his pot of gold is ;)
I can just imagine 500 vultures decending on every barn within 100 miles if he did.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

brianu wrote:
phonogfp wrote:

George P.
ditto.
double ditto. ;)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Suspiscious also... I've seen this picture before...

Steve