John Wanamaker Sealed Record

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

John Wanamaker Sealed Record

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's my second question of the day. Here's a record envelope from Wanamaker in Philadelphia.It dates from the late teens, I would say from the Red Seal issues being touted on the back. How it got to Toronto is an interesting question, but I wonder if you folks know what the Sealed Record sticker indicates? Does this mean they're assuring you that the record has never been played?
I know there were grumblings in the 78 era about records which had been demonstrated just one too many times being sold to customers who felt a pristine copy would have been nicer.

Jim
Attachments
DSC02698.JPG

Neophone
Victor III

Re: John Wanamaker Sealed Record

Post by Neophone »

Jim,

Yes that's exactly right-it was a guarantee that the record inside had never been played and could not be returned. There is another part to the sticker-I've had it scanned, and I had been planning to post it at some point-so here it is....

Regards,
John
Attachments
Wanamakers.jpg

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I work in the Wanamaker Building, which used to be the John Wanamaker department store. The first three floors of the building are now Macy's, while the remainder of the floors have been converted to offices. Wanamkers was a great store and I miss it.

:squirrel:

Rocky

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Suspicions confirmed! I knew one of you guys would know. Didn't Wanamaker's have a pipe organ in the store in the early 1900's and do daily programmes or am I dreaming that?

Jim

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Not a dream, Jim. The organ is still there, has been almost fully restored, is well maintained, and is played daily by its full-time organist. Radio station WRTI-FM carries the Sunday concerts, IIRC. I understand that it was brought to Phila. from the St. Louis World's Fair (1904). It's claimed to be one of the world's largest pipe organs, if not THE largest.

BTW, Wanamaker's started in Philadelphia, as did Gimbels, as did Horn & Hardart (the Automat). These were NOT originally New York enterprises, in case anyone was wondering. "Wanamaker" is a fairly common Pennsylvania Dutch (German) surname. There's a tiny community of that name in Lehigh County, where I live.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Jim,

Here's a link that contains the daily schedule for the organ as well as the organ's history and specs:

http://www.wanamakerorgan.com/events.php

Rocky

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Neophone wrote:Jim,

Yes that's exactly right-it was a guarantee that the record inside had never been played and could not be returned. There is another part to the sticker-I've had it scanned, and I had been planning to post it at some point-so here it is....

Regards,
John
Wouldn't it have been easier to just advertise: "Satisfaction guaranteed or no money back!"
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Brad wrote: Wouldn't it have been easier to just advertise: "Satisfaction guaranteed or no money back!"
Brad,

I guess phonograph records were the exception to the store's refund policy. Ironically, it was John Wanamaker who revolutionized the industry by instituting the practice of a money-back guarantee to customers who were not satisfied with their purchase.

Rocky