My First Amberola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Covah
Victor II

Re: My First Amberola

Post by Covah »

Transdye is what I used to match the new and old oak. The sides match perfectly in color, the only successful part of this project. I had to use filler because I had scrubbed out paint with a wire brush which opened the grain and to hide remaining paint down in the grain.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Next time you are faced with paint in wood grain there a few things that you can try. Believe it or not-oven cleaner will remove many types of paint that has gotten into the paint grain.Spray it on and wait about 15-20 min. as the foam disapates it will lift the paint to the surface-works on wood as well as fiberglass I use it remove trapped paint that has gotten into the gelcoat on corvettes that are pre 63.
Another thing that works well is lye. But you have to be careful-mix to manufactors directions-swab on-use gloves that are for chemical use and eye protection. wait 5-8 min. then wipe down. Repeat if necessary. Yes grain will raise. In both cases nultrize surface with a mixture of baking soda and water in a spray bottle. wipe down as soon as there is no chemical reaction. I use a heat blower to dry-yep a hair dryer will work-work the wood until it is dry. I have done 4 units and not had the veneer lift using these methods and hundreds of antique frames.
Good luck on your next project
Abe

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Another old technique is to apply a thin coat of shellac over the remaining bits of paint and then strip again. The theory is that the finish will bind to the paint and help lift it.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Very nice! 30s are such nice little machines...

Sean