A-250 question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

A-250 question

Post by JohnM »

I was briefly examining an A-250 today. I've never owned one, so was wondering what the curved metal bar that traces the arc of the horn just back of and below the bedplate; and the corresponding adjustable tension bar-spring assembly attached to the horn that rides against that curved bar -- is supposed to do?

Does it secure the horn assembly for transport?

Thanks in advance!

John M
Last edited by JohnM on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Re: A-250 question

Post by Guest »

John I will look and see what i can find out

edisonc250
Victor O
Personal Text: John McCormick Forever, Cal Stewart Never!!

Post by edisonc250 »

John, I was looking at George Frow's Edison Book and it sounds as if it might be part of a Long play conversion kit that edison had put out to convert machines to long play.

Mechtronix
Victor Jr

Post by Mechtronix »

JohnM wrote:I was briefly examining an A-250 today. I've never owned one, so was wondering what the curved metal bar that traces the arc of the horn just back of and below the bedplate; and the corresponding adjustable tension bar-spring assembly attached to the horn that rides against that curved bar -- is supposed to do?

Does it secure the horn assembly for transport?

Thanks in advance!

John M
Hi, I'm more of an observer than a participant on this forum, but can gladly help with this question.

The metal arc bar and tongue spring assembly on the horn of the "A" series Diamond Disc machines is for horn tension and stability of the horn mass itself when raised and swung over to line up the reproducer to the record grooves. It is then disengaged when the horn is lowered to play the record.
This was simplified on the later B series motors, (B250, C250 etc) to a simple spring tongue under the front of the bedplate mounted on the horn lift/pivot shaft to give tension to the horn assembly when raised.

Craig

edisonc250
Victor O
Personal Text: John McCormick Forever, Cal Stewart Never!!

Post by edisonc250 »

Craig, Don't be a stranger!!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Craig is correct. Essentially it keeps the horn from swinging freely and helps keep the tonearm at the correct angle to the record. The A series have this two piece horn assembly also, like a cygnet horn which is not terribly stable so I suppose this mechanism added some extra stability. It surely was a complex way to design it though and the simple spring mechanism on the new standard disc mechanism essentially accomplished the same thing much more simply and cheaply.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've wondered the same thing about that assembly on the A-series mechanisms. Thanks for the explanation!

George P.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Thank you all very much! Not knowing what that was, was driving me crazy! Makes perfect sense in that wonderful pre-fire, over-engineered Edison way.

Edison Phonographs -- cylinder or disc -- are so much more complicated than Victor. The Victor Data Book states the cost of manufacturing the hardware for certain models. I don't have my copy on the road with me, but something like $8 (maybe less) for a Victor VI, plus the cost of the cabinet. How bad could it be? $15 total? Then Victor sold it for $100. Even a full Victrola couldn"t have cost $25 to produce, could it? Consider the much more complex Diamond Disc mechanism, especially the earlier iterations. Edison's profit margin (cyl and disc) must have been considerably smaller on both machines and records.

Thanks again,

John M
Last edited by JohnM on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

To John's point it would be interesting to have some cost comparisons between Victor and Edison for similar models. I'm sure the Amberola 1 was much more expensive to producer, (the works) than a victrola. I'm sure an A250 DD machine must have cost more to produce than an early XVI. It's easy to deduce just by comparing the amount of moving parts that have to be machined, assembled and tuned.

Surely the result must have been thought worth the extra cost. I think so anyway!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik,

I agree. I like Victor products and own many of them, but the Edison Disc Phonographs (and the recording technique) were something special. Still are.

George P.