Anyone recall this neat old Phono book??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
flashpanblue
Victor III

Anyone recall this neat old Phono book??

Post by flashpanblue »

I was given a neat little book by an old friend of mine who used to collect antique radios. It is called The APM Phonograph and Record Collector Directory, 1974 first edition, cost $3.50. It has 24 pages and lists some 250 names of all the collectors in North America, Great Britain, Europe and even Japan. Or at least all the ones that registered. I looked over the names and imagined the thousands of Phonographs that were held in all these collections. I expect now that 35 years has passed that many of these collectors are no longer with us. I did however recognize a few names that you might also know!! They are Al Sefl, Peter Dilg, Charles Hummel, John Nagy, and George Paul. Say wait a minute is this the same George P. that posts on this forum!!! Boy some of you guys have sure been collecting for a long long time!!! Keep up the good Work!!
Best regards
Pete

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Anyone recall this neat old Phono book??

Post by phonogfp »

flashpanblue wrote:I was given a neat little book by an old friend of mine who used to collect antique radios. It is called The APM Phonograph and Record Collector Directory, 1974 first edition, cost $3.50. It has 24 pages and lists some 250 names of all the collectors in North America, Great Britain, Europe and even Japan. Or at least all the ones that registered. I looked over the names and imagined the thousands of Phonographs that were held in all these collections. I expect now that 35 years has passed that many of these collectors are no longer with us. I did however recognize a few names that you might also know!! They are Al Sefl, Peter Dilg, Charles Hummel, John Nagy, and George Paul. Say wait a minute is this the same George P. that posts on this forum!!! Boy some of you guys have sure been collecting for a long long time!!! Keep up the good Work!!
Best regards
Pete
Yep - that's me... Back in 1974 I had hair down to my shoulders. Now my shoulders go right up over my head!

George P.

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Anyone recall this neat old Phono book??

Post by larryh »

Is that the Antique Phonograph Monthly produced out of Brooklyn New York by Allen Koenigsberg? I used to have most of those but sold them off a couple years back now. If so we visited Allen at his home at one point, a very interesting place to say the least. Quite a fountain of knowledge and to my recollection one of the foremost early promoters of information about antique machines and collectors as well as a great resource before so many others started selling parts. I used to advertise steel needles in it for some time back in the 60's. Yes a list of members to that group today would be a "who's who" of people that were serious and collectors and admires of phonographs way back. He focused a lot on very early machines, which was never my real interest so much of it went over my head. In fact I was at his house the day that National Public Radio called him to interview him about the anniversary of the phonographs discovery by Edison.

Larry