unusual mission oak edison on craigslist in PA, again

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

unusual mission oak edison on craigslist in PA, again

Post by brianu »

for some reason the original thread I started on this machine was locked, I guess because the topic needlessly veered off-track. so I wanted to restart the thread because I'm still interested in people's thoughts on this machine, and to learn of garrett's progress in trying to buy it (and if he does, to maybe get some more photos posted)...

-------

I came across an interesting edison on craigslist the other day, what appears to be a B-60 but with a stand and lid added to create the appearance of a mission oak style floor model. one of the fabrizio/paul books has a photo of a similar floor model machine in this mission style, but there are several differences, among others: it's a cylinder player, it appears to be completely one piece (rather than machine with stand), the grill only has vertical slats to match the vertical slats in the lower portion of the cabinet, and those vertical slats in the lower area are on the sides (with openings in front and back) rather than in the front and back.

any way, I still thought it was an interesting machine.

http://york.craigslist.org/atq/1265531076.html

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: unusual mission oak edison on craigslist in PA, again

Post by gramophoneshane »

The B60 in Frows book is similar to this one as well, but doesn't have a lid, and has a door rather than slats on the record cabinet.
My gut feeling is the CL machine is the real thing, so I hope Garret does get it- especially after loosing out on the HMV 193 a few weeks back.
I think if someone was building an outright fake, they would probably make an exact copy of either the cylinder or disc machine cabinet, rather than combining both cabinet styles & adding a lid.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

brianu wrote:for some reason the original thread I started on this machine was locked, I guess because the topic needlessly veered off-track.
I apologize for forcing the start of a new thread by locking the previous one, but thanks to hijacking by a certain individual who took it wildly off-topic, that seemed to be an appropriate course of action at the time.

I very nearly posted an overly long message to try to publicly set that person straight, since polite private communication did not seem to be effective, but ultimately opted not to post it; John will be sorting out that fiasco when he returns from his weekend away.

I would like to ask that everyone stay on topic in this thread; if you would like to respond to what I have to say here, please contact me via private message.

...and now back to the previously scheduled discussion.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

so garrett, did you get this edison???

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Brian,

I did. It needs more work than the photos show, and I had to lower my offer accordingly. I'm determining restoration feasibility at the moment, and am going to go from there.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

Garret wrote:Brian,

I did. It needs more work than the photos show, and I had to lower my offer accordingly. I'm determining restoration feasibility at the moment, and am going to go from there.
nice. but is it all one piece, or does it appear to be a b-60 with the extra work added on - with the stand and lid - to give the appearance of a floor model? that was the largest curiosity for me.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Garret wrote:Brian,

Congratulations Garret! I think you've scored a rare & original machine there.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

One thing holding me up on my B80 project is the lack of the correct reproducer. It, like the one featured in this thread, needs a reproducer with volume control. It's a rare one. The phonograph itself has no volume control.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Covah,

I'm afraid you're mistaken, if you think if all of the 60 series Diamond Disc machines came with that reproducer. See Frow's book.

Best,

Garret