New Machine Questions...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Re: New Machine Questions...

Post by Aaron »

Shane wrote:Many thanks for all the advice! I was able to lift the bedplate and motor out of the cabinet, just as George had described. I'm glad I posted a message here before I started removing all the screws.
The governor weights on this machine are rather interesting. They are made of some sort of strange material, almost like stone. When you rub your finger on them little grains, almost like sand, rub off. Is this some sort of crumbling pot metal, or is it something else? It's a new one on me.
I'm heading out to clean up the cabinet and top works a bit... despite the very nice condition it is in, the machine had been in storage for quite a while.
I believe, correct me if i'm wrong George, but i think the "stone like" material that the governors are made of is actually LED or a substance close to it. And i believe it's just corrosion. Most Columbia machines i have seen are like this, or at least the later models....That why the earliest Columbia's are the BEST! Isn't that right George ;) :D

Aaron

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: New Machine Questions...

Post by phonogfp »

Aaron wrote: I believe, correct me if i'm wrong George, but i think the "stone like" material that the governors are made of is actually LED or a substance close to it. And i believe it's just corrosion. Most Columbia machines i have seen are like this, or at least the later models....That why the earliest Columbia's are the BEST! Isn't that right George ;) :D

Aaron
Testify, brother! :D Yes, the governor weights are lead, and simply rubbing them or brushing them will remove the oxidation.

George P.