weighing the options in buying the first new phonograph...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: weighing the options in buying the first new phonograph...

Post by Valecnik »

gramophoneshane wrote:I've heard this happened quite a lot on the earlier models, where the tag, number on the horn & on the bedplate all match.
It certainly is an iteresting document to say the least.
I'm not sure what it was like in USA, but over here it seems most music shops, both city & country, offered some sort of time payment scheme. Many news paper ads, and even dusters advertise the fact.
I guess when you think about it, many of these machines cost many months wages, and unless you were very well off, paying off a machine would be the only way to obtain one. Many medium to high end models would be the price of a second hand or new car.
But what is extra interesting about this one is the number was written on the horn bell, and only became visible after the paint had all flecked off.

Regarding payment schemes, this gentleman took up a two year commitment At ten dollars a month and the seller accepted. I wonder how payments were made? I suppose he had to go to the shop with cash once a month... probably a good opportunity to buy a could diamond disc records!