First Columbia Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

First Columbia Phonograph

Post by SonnyPhono »

Since I am new to collecting phonographs I was going to stick to just buying Edison and Victors. But I recently came across a Columbia Grafanola that was in really bad shape and decided to try my hand at restoration. The cabinet was really a mess, the nickel parts were rough to say the least, and the motor would not begin to wind let alone play. So after some elbow grease, learning to fix a couple broken springs, and feeling my way through the restoring process, here is my first "saved" phonograph! If anyone has any interesting information on this particular model I would love to know more about it as I will be keeping this in my small, but growing, collection.

Here is the completed Grafonola with record ejector. (was the record ejector original in these? It works great and cleans the records when removing them and putting them back. :) )

[Imaged removed from external host]

Here is the top with lid closed.

Here is the bottom with detailed woodwork. Tough to clean up but I think it's pretty for a Columbia upright.

Here is the top with lid open. Did this model come with velour or velvet on the turntable instead of felt? If so, I imagine it's original.

I have a lot to learn about restoring phonos but this was fun and I hope to only get better from here! :)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: First Columbia Phonograph

Post by phonophan79 »

Hey SonnyPhono -

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way with Edison and Victors... Columbia machines to me don't seem as eye pleasing... but I would also agree with you on this one, a Columbia I wouldn't mind owning, very nice, congrats and welcome to the board. :)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Very nice restoration! You have a Columbia Grafonola 100. I don't have my reference books with me (we're traveling), but I'm sure someone else can give you production years. The record ejector and turntable velour is original.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Good job! That is one of the upscale Grafonolas, not all that easy to find. The record ejector is a definite plus. If it wasn't for the friction joint in their tone arms causing record wear Grafonolas would be great instruments- Columbia made nice motors.

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

estott wrote:If it wasn't for the friction joint in their tone arms causing record wear Grafonolas would be great instruments
Yes, those pot metal parts. It doesn't take much swelling for those pieces to bind up and freeze the arm in one spot.

Did anyone ever try to reproduce these pieces in brass or some other metal besides zinc diecast?
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I know there's one guy who will replace the tone arm joint that permits vertical motion. What is really needed is someone to reproduce the whole tone arm with a ball bearing sleeve for the tracking motion- of course the cost would be more than the value of most Grafonolas.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Excellent restoration Sonny. It has the right touch of "age" that I like to see. Do you have any pictures of the before condition

There are lot of machines out ther just waiting for a little TLC. Keep it up.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?