Featured Phonograph № 28

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Featured Phonograph № 28

Post by brianu »

gramophoneshane wrote:That's a great looking machine Brian, and an unusual design.
If you ever have to service the motor, I'd love to see you add a picture of it one day. I've never seen a Paillard's bottom mount motor before.

I actually just sold this machine, which reminded me of this discussion... but I didn't realize I never posted photos of this peculiar motor as you'd asked. I snapped a few this morning before the thing left the apartment en route to its new home. aside from a couple of scarce Pathé tabletop machines, this is the only model I've ever seen with a motor mounted to the case this way, rather than the motorboard... it's also unusual in that that governor is beneath the rest of the mechanism. it's definitely huge overall, though... I failed to measure it, and it's only a two-spring design, but the barrels are more the size of those on edison's upscale machines than anything else, so the springs must be unusually large as well... I remember on a full wind, this motor ran for quite some time.
Attachments
HPIM0213.JPG
HPIM0214.JPG
HPIM0215.JPG

1923VictorFan
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm not better than you, I'm just different from you in ways that are better..

Post by 1923VictorFan »

I sure wish I found stuff like that in MY garage! I did manage to discover my Smith-Corona electric typewriter and a roll of 2009 Pennies. Anyone interested?
It's not that I'm better than you. I'm just different from you in a way that's better. - Russel Brand

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's always nice to see another phononut that enjoys the big and odd and unusual upright. I'm a sucker for one. Thanks, Jerry Blais

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Thanks heaps for posting these Brian. Gee, you must have the memory of an elephant lol.
Since you started this thread, I did come across a Paillard open horn machine online, that had one of these motors, but it didn't have a close-up of the motor so I appreciate seeing it in far more detail.
I'd imagine these base mounted motors were a fairly early design, and were designed after disc music box motors of the time. It's probably safe to say your Sonora was one of last machines to use this type. I actually wonder if Paillard may have used Sonora to get rid of obsolete stocks.
I also noticed your soundbox is identical to my Maestrophone "Maestoso" soundbox which Paillard patented July 2, 1918, so I think you are pretty accurate with your date for the machine.
Thanks again for the px!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

What a great-looking motor! It's a shame to hide it inside a cabinet... :)

George P.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This one is particularly nice due to the unusual design, but I think Paillard motors in general are very attractive compared to most other brands, because of the heavily nickel plated spring barrels, gears & governor weights etc. I dont recall ever finding one where the plating has begun to peel off either It kind of makes me wonder why so many collectors have the opinion that Swiss motors were cheap & of poor quality.

Re: Featured Phonograph ??? 28

Post by Guest »

Did you try taking out the bottom draw and turning it upside down to see if the Model name is stenciled underneath? That is the case with my Sonora Elite, and on many other Sonora Models, as the model is identified no where else on the phonograph.