Cylinder Guy Needs Help With Disc Machine!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Cylinder Guy Needs Help With Disc Machine!

Post by Aaron »

Ok Everyone,

Most of you know that I'm a cylinder guy, but about 2 weeks ago i was offered a phonograph. I called the lady and she explaned to me that it was a piece of furniture, so it wasnt a table top. She didnt know if it was a cylinder or disc machine but i thought i would check it out. I was hoping to find Amberola 1A serial #1.....but thinggs didint work in my favor.... :lol: But what i found was a Columbia Grafonola type E-2. It sounds nice and it came with some 50 records. but I'm worried about a few of the records that i like. The seem to be turning WHITE after so many plays and the needles are always BLAACK after play?! Are these not needle records? The two i like were made by Decca. The two tiles i like the most are "Here Pretty Kitty" By Guy Lombardo And His Royal Canadians, and "The Answer She Is "Yes!" No?" By Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians. These among others are my favorites. Ill Take pictures of the machine and records later, but if anyone can shed some light on me about anything i would appreciate it!

Aaron

Shane
Victor II

Re: Cylinder Guy Needs Help With Disc Machine!

Post by Shane »

Hi Aaron,
It sounds like you're playing records on that machine that are from the 40s or 50s. These are too new and are made of a different compound that doesn't take too kindly to steel needles and acoustic reproducers. Look for pre-1935 records to play on this machine. The easy way to tell is that the outer rim of the record is blank, meaning it has no "lead in" groove in the blank area.

I'm assuming you're playing the records with new unused needles. Also, putting new gaskets in the reproducer will allow the needle to better comply with the grooves. The needle and needle bar linkage can become stiff when there is old hardened gaskets in the reproducer, resulting in increased record wear.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Sound advice. Pre-1925 (acoustically recorded) discs would be even more appropriate and not over drive the system.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Using soft or medium tone needles might improve the situation, but the US & UK shellac from the 40's & 50's didn't contain enough abrasives to wear the steel needle, so the shellac wears instead.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Also, under no circumstances ever attempt to play a vinyl 78 on your machine.

richardh

Post by richardh »

To reduce record wear to the minimum you could also use cactus needles. I find with these I can play records from the 50's on an acoustic machine (I know, I know this is sacrilidge!).... but Perry Como singing "Magic moments" does sound good on my acoustic machine!

Word of warning though...to play all the way through the records have to be in top condition. If they are already worn then they wear the cactus needle too quickly and it won't last the record. Also play loud records with a long cactus needle to avoid being deafened!

RJ 8-)