Demise of the 10-50?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Demise of the 10-50?

Post by gramophoneshane »

What is the best material to make the replacement parts from- brass, aluminium or something else?

richardh

Post by richardh »

The replacement parts I have are aluminium. Bob, I was also surprised at how much tidying up was required! Also replacement parts were also available for the record lift pad which was also pot metal. Charlie also did replacement turntables. I didn't get one of those as mine was fine.

John, I have a photo of the connector you can use instead of the gears. I originally was emailed it by Mark Lynch. I will find it and upload it (I don't think he would mind) It really was a neat solution to the problem and probably a hell of a lot easier than grinding gears!

RJ 8-)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Guest wrote:Says??????? You should check with Mr. Weatherbee ;)
I can confirm that he is no longer making the kits. He did have a few spare parts that he is still selling but not the gears. Moo hooked me up with a gentleman, Mark Lynch, who could supply the gears but not the support brackets to hold them. Thus I am still toothless & unable to switch back and forth between 10" and 12" records...

Other than that, the 10-50 sounds great, but as mentioned above, is as big as an 18-wheeler and twice as heavy.

When I picked the one up I have, I had 3 strong 20-somethings and myself on the 4th corner bringing it in the house. When we got thru the front door, the guy on my left ended up bailing and was on the outside of the door with the other 2 supermen. And I, a deskbound 50-something noodle armed semi-geezer, was on the inside by myself! Needles to say, I immediately shouted, "Put it down!!!!" and ever so gently put my end down. After all, those 3 knuckleheads didn't pay for the thing, I did!!

Steve

frankt
Victor Jr

Post by frankt »

helpful hint:
when transporting your 10-50, remove the mechanism, the doors, the cast iron horn parts and back panels, takes off a lot of weight. not so bad putting these parts back in place. :P

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Now ya tell me! and besides, I'm nearly recovered from my hernia surgery anyway... (OK- just kidding)

richardh

Post by richardh »

Guest wrote:Says??????? You should check with Mr. Weatherbee ;)
I did, Mr / Ms Anon Guest and unless things have changed he only had a few parts such as the record lift pad and record magazine support left. The other parts were out of stock and at the time I asked he did not intend to make any more. :D

Have you asked and if so do you have any useful information to impart about availability? If so I am sure we'd all like to hear it.

RJ 8-)

richardh

Post by richardh »

John here are the photos I have of the gearing system for this autochanger. One shows the standard gears the other with the universal connector. As I said Mark Lynch sent these pic to me a few years ago to give me some ideas of how to solve my problem of missing parts.

In all the original gears for the record selector alone had 4 pot metal gears. The mount that supported them was also pot metal - and all parts usually need replacing.

RJ 8-)
106-0631_IMG.JPG
106-0631_IMG.JPG (144.64 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
130-3012_IMG.JPG
130-3012_IMG.JPG (107.57 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Hey! Thanks for posting those pictures. I hope someone with some knowledge of investment casting will pick up the ball and run with it. I wonder what the ratio of restored 10-50's is to unrestored examples?

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan