Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I came across this phonograph today and don't think I have seen anything like it. It is described as a "Victrola type sound system used on a navy ship". I just don't know anything about it and wondered if anyone here could shed some light on whether or not it is collectible or even what it's function was. It looks like maybe it could have been used for duplicating records? Not sure...hopefully someone will though! :)

gregbogantz
Victor II

Re: Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This?

Post by gregbogantz »

This is a Western Electric turntable set, most often used for playing disc records for radio broadcast. The dial in the center is the fader which can be used easily to fade down one turntable and fade up the other with one turn of the hand.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind having it for my collection. It is at a local auction coming up here in a couple days...wonder what I should bid. Does anyone know how often these show up or general value compared to more common phonographs?

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Sonny

Generally Western Electric = BIG $$$$, very rare

This probably came from a theater, the patch panel at the rear is missing. These used probably the best magnetic pickup, they used oil damping on the armature.
I have only seen one in the flesh.

Chuck