I have a new appreciation for this hobby

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

I have a new appreciation for this hobby

Post by Edisonfan »

Ever since buying my first phonograph, an Edison S-19, and adding three more machines, two other Edison Machines, and one Victor. Plus my extensive collection of cylinders and disc records. This has been my favorite hobby. I love these old machines, the look, the smell, and the sound. What other hobby allows you to collect and play with? Not just look at or have as an intrinsic value? None that I can think of?

I have a new appreciation for this hobby. Not only, do I have four very nice machine, but a nice extensive collection of music. Which is like having a time machine to the past. To be able to listen to way these recordings were intended to be listened to on the original machines. Not just a digital copy on an mp3 or CD.

Not only have I enjoyed collecting early music and machines. I have also been able to meet some wonderful people, who share my same interest in this hobby. I have been even able to help educate other people who know nothing of early recorded music or machines. I still have people become amazed, when I buy a DD or a cylinder. As not too many people have ever seen either one. It gives me a great thrill to talk about my hobby, and why I got into it.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Peace! :)

Edisonfan aka: Paul

JohnM
Victor V

Re: I have a new appreciation for this hobby

Post by JohnM »

I love this hobby, too, Paul. My mind requires a fair amount of input to keep it occupied and this hobby has provided that stimulation for 42 years now. It seems that you could eventually learn all there is to know about stamps -- or even automobiles -- but between machines and records, this hobby has length, breadth, and depth.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Gents,

Me three! This is one of the best hobbies around. The records, the machines and especially the people! My only complaint is I waited so long to start collecting.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

That's mine too, John.

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

You're hooked Paul!

BTW, the antique booth you mentioned in a different thread, exactly where is Old Glory Antiques on Rt. 355? I remember an antique shop ½ to 1 mile up the road from the FSK Mall. Is that the place you are talking about? I'm asking because I'll be visiting family in the area in early Oct. Maybe I'll get a chance to stop by.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Yes, it is up the road from FSK Mall.

Paul

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

I like to put it this way: Before I was into records and phonographs, I collected (at various times) coins, stamps, baseball cards, and old bottles. With all of these items, you can buy them, you can sell them, you can trade them, you can put them on the shelf and look at them, and that's about it.

With records, there's the added dimension of being able to listen to them. Its like a window to the past opens every time you put the stylus in the groove. That's really what hooked me.