Asking for Advice with my Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bbphonoguy
Victor III

Asking for Advice with my Credenza

Post by bbphonoguy »

Hi. My Credenza is finally back inside the house after it's 3 year cabinet restoration (I'm slow with these projects, plus it was looking as is it had literally been standing in a flood when I got it). Now, can someone advise me on how to get the electric motor up to speed, literally? It runs fairly slowly and won't speed up enough to play records. Maybe a new lube job? Hopefully nothing serious? Talk to me as if I don't have a clue, because I don't.

Also, where can I get a new bracket for the tone arm? The old one is only partially present.

Thanks guys!

Carl

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Asking for Advice with my Credenza

Post by ChuckA »

Carl,

I'll assume you have an induction disc style motor. If it isn't gummed up from dried up grease, the most likely cause will be an open or shorted coil. It's fairly easy to test for an open coil
just use an ohmmeter on each set of coil leads (there are 4 coils). Checking for a shorted coil isn't so easy, I believe the shorted coil will get warmer to the touch than the good coils.

Another possibility (albeit slim) is that your motor is connected for 40 cycle operation, in which case there will be a large power resistor mounted to the top of the horn. If there is just remove it or jump a wire across it.

Chuck

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Asking for Advice with my Credenza

Post by bbphonoguy »

Thanks Chuck! I'll check to see if I have a power resistor, and I'll have to borrow the ohmmeter. I'll let you know how it turns out.