Geo. P Bent console on Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Geo. P Bent console on Ebay

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan,

Thanks for sharing the advertising images.

Would anyone happen to have a graphic showing their saxophone-style horn design?

—MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

MordEth wrote:Ortho_Fan,

Thanks for sharing the advertising images.

Would anyone happen to have a graphic showing their saxophone-style horn design?

—MordEth

As I look again at the rather grainy blow-up, I think it's showing the horn from the back of the cabinet, so it's actually a conventional, long tapered horn. That means it's probably something like this:
Silvertone Shadow.JPG
Silvertone Shadow.JPG (10.94 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I wish I could read the copy! :geek:

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:I wish I could read the copy! :geek:
Wish I could too. I tried blowing up the original image, but I don't have a provision to enhance the clarity. (Not sure if any program can do this.) The original ad is for sale and appears on this page: http://www.goantiques.com/detail,sears- ... 78797.html

I did a search of the Sears Catalog archive page, which only has one image of a phonograph--not counting a 1950s radio/TV/phono combo--

(The site does have some nice, clear images of their homes -- http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/)

I'm wondering if it would be possible to coax some phonophiles, who may also collect catalogs, to take some good, clear scans and post them on this forum. It would be great to compile a database of Sears, Wards, etc. catalog phonographs. So far, nothing like this has been done, that I know of, to any great extent.

Maybe this would be a good topic for TF's next book? :idea:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Wish I could too. I tried blowing up the original image, but I don't have a provision to enhance the clarity. (Not sure if any program can do this.) The original ad is for sale and appears on this page.
When I get home from work, I will see what I can do with it in Photoshop, but most likely there just is not enough detail there to sharpen and be able to read the text.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Didn't someone on Phonolist or Phono-L put together a comilation of ALL the Silvertone Sears catalog pages? I seem to recall it was being offered as a download to anyone interested. I don't have a Silvertone so I passed.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:Didn't someone on Phonolist or Phono-L put together a comilation of ALL the Silvertone Sears catalog pages? I seem to recall it was being offered as a download to anyone interested. I don't have a Silvertone so I passed.

After doing a little Phono-L site-searching, I was able to come up with a reference to the 1927 Sears Phonograph section of the catalog, which was available at the time in PDF format -- http://www.oldcrank.org/pipermail/phono ... 07168.html Unfortunately, the link is dead, and the file, itself, does not seem to be archived anywhere.

Other references to Silvertone from the site appear here.
Last edited by OrthoFan on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

estott wrote:Didn't someone on Phonolist or Phono-L put together a comilation of ALL the Silvertone Sears catalog pages? I seem to recall it was being offered as a download to anyone interested. I don't have a Silvertone so I passed.
Yes, it was Wayne Holznagel on Phono-L.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan