Columbia Grand Questionaires

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Columbia Grand Questionaires

Post by ChuckA »

Since starting to collect Columbia Grand machines, I've wondered about the variations and the serial number arrangement that was used. In Howard Hazelcorn's Columbia book he states that the GG, HG, & AG machines all shared the 1-9999 number block. From the few numbers I have for these machines either Columbia built these models in no particular sequence or the numbers were randomly selected from that pool of numbers.

So I would like to start 3 questionnaires for these 3 models to collect serial numbers and other information to see where each model/variation fits in the time line. If you have any of these models I would appreciate your input, once I have enough information I'll make it available to anyone.

You can post your data here on the forum, PM me or email to chuck (at) myvintagetv (dot) com

Thanks

Questionnaire Model GG

1) Serial Number (stamped in bed plate)
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or "The Graphophone Grand")
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal?
4) Handles on cabinet?
5) Reproducer type (usually #2 or #4 or #5)
6) Lettering on feed screw cover (Script or Block)
7) Any other information/paper acquired with machine

Questionnaire Model HG / AD

1) Serial Number (on metal ID Plate) N/A for AD
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or "The Home Grand Graphophone")
4) 1st or 2nd style? N/A for AD
5) Reproducer (usually #4 or #5)
6) Any other information/paper acquired with machine

Questionnaire Model AG / AF

1) Serial Number (on metal ID Plate) N/A for AF
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or ?)
4) Bed plate Type (unpainted aluminum, nickel plated steel, painted aluminum) N/A for AF
5) Reproducer (usually #4 or #5)

Questionnaire Model AB

1) Serial Number (on metal ID Plate)
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or ?)
4) Reproducer (usually #4 or #5)
5) Reproduce lift type

There seems to be two styles of reproducer lift mechanisms used on the AB. One has the forked
lift on the reproducer and the "T" lift arm, the other has a single metal tab on the reproducer ball tube and
a pin lift.

Last edited by ChuckA on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

obmcclintock
Victor I
Personal Text: What can be cranked turns my crank.

Re: Columbia Grand Questionaires

Post by obmcclintock »

I an just now purchasing a Columbia a g grand graphophone. I am very excited about obtaining it. I will let you know when it arrives and give you any info about it that I have. I have a question for you please. Appx. how many GG's AG's HG"s and AB Macdonalds are there in existence? Thanks, Dave

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

obmcclintock wrote:I an just now purchasing a Columbia a g grand graphophone. I am very excited about obtaining it. I will let you know when it arrives and give you any info about it that I have. I have a question for you please. Appx. how many GG's AG's HG"s and AB Macdonalds are there in existence? Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Appreciate the info when you get your AG. I'm hoping to be able to answer your question with the collected data. I will say that the most common is the AB. Next most common from what I have seen is the second model AG with the painted aluminum bed plate.

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Chuck,

PM sent... :)

Good luck with this project!

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

phonogfp wrote:Chuck,

PM sent... :)

Good luck with this project!

George P.

George

Thanks for the information.

Yes I did make a mistake on the AG question #2, I changed it. Also added a question about the decal, have only seen "The Graphophone" style but let's see if the later style was used also.

It is really nice when you get everything that was original to the piece, something you don't find anymore.

Chuck

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Say Chuck, when collecting data on decals for the HG and AG, could you note whether the bottom right portions say "New York" with 3 Broadway addresses, or "New York & Paris?" A couple of other attributions are possible, and I'd be very interested to know which cities are listed with the accompanying serial number. :)

Best,
George

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Being a big fan of Graphophones (and especially the Grand varieties), I'm a little disappointed that Chuck's questionnaires have not generated more responses. Surely there are some GG, HG, and AG Graphophones out there in members' hands. (I wish I had a GG or HG.)

I shared the information on this AG with Chuck a few days ago. I was hoping that some members would post photos of their Grand Graphophones. But it's not fair to expect others to do what I'm not willing to do, so here are a few photos of an AG that I've owned for 33 years. I bought it at a house sale, and it was the only phonographic item there. There's more to the story, and I'll share some of it after others get involved in the thread. After all, if there's no interest in the subject, there's no point in boring people (although my wife claims I do this all the time).

This one represents the second of three variations of the AG. The first has a nickel plated steel bedplate. The second (like this one) is unpainted aluminum. The third variation has a black painted aluminum bedplate.

Let's see some more! :)

George P.
This AG was found with its original reproducer and recorder in their boxes.  The machine's serial number is written on the boxes, which are both labelled "HG" on their paper labels.
This AG was found with its original reproducer and recorder in their boxes. The machine's serial number is written on the boxes, which are both labelled "HG" on their paper labels.
Graphophones are noted for their decoration, which made Edison Phonographs of the time look pretty plain by comparison.
Graphophones are noted for their decoration, which made Edison Phonographs of the time look pretty plain by comparison.
Speaking of decoration...  Just look at that gear cover.
Speaking of decoration... Just look at that gear cover.
The AG in all three of its variations is not a large machine, but substantial in its dimensions and pleasing in its symmetry.
The AG in all three of its variations is not a large machine, but substantial in its dimensions and pleasing in its symmetry.

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

George,

Thanks for making the request for more information from the community. I'm up to 10 Grands in the database.

That is a beautiful AG, you just don't find them like that in the "wild" anymore.

Chuck

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

Hi Chuck;

Here is my GG information. Also, will you be recording any information on the other grand machines such as the AD or AB?

1) Serial Number (stamped in bed plate) #2871
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or "The Graphophone Grand") Graphophone Grand
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal? New York and Paris
4) Handles on cabinet? Yes
5) Reproducer type (usually #2 or #4 or #5) Heavy Eagle #4
6) Lettering on feed screw cover (Script or Block)Block
7) Any other information/paper acquired with machine - No other information.

Scott
Attachments
IMG_4752.JPG
IMG_4739.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG
IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG
Last edited by phonohound on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obmcclintock
Victor I
Personal Text: What can be cranked turns my crank.

Post by obmcclintock »

Those machines are beautiful! I favor the Columbia over the Edison concerts simply due to the fact that the decoration and the casework are to me far more impressive. The Edison concert is however a fine machine! I enjoy seeing them and hearing them on youtube. To me it seems hardly possible that many if any of these are left due to the fact that their popularity only lasted a very few of those early years being replaced by the more durable and cheaper 2 inch cylinders.