Columbia Grand Questionaires

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
mcgravy
Victor O

Re: Columbia Grand Questionaires

Post by mcgravy »

Sorry I'm late with this. I've just been lazy.

Serial # - 3434
Front Decal - Graphophone Grand
Cities - New York & Paris
Handles - Yes
Reproducer - #4
Lettering - Block
Additional info - none

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Serial # - 356
Front Decal - The Graphophone
Handles No
Reproducer - none yet
Lettering - Block
Additional info The machine at this point is a restorable basket case and not sure if it is an AG or HG, no ID plate. I am needing some parts to complete it. bottom bed plate, speed knob, mandrel shaft, drive gear and reproducer, crank maybe a lid in the future. Will an AT mandrel shaft and gear work?? I can make the mandrel.
Attachments
cabinet
cabinet
a12graphophone.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Topworks
Topworks
1agraphophoneb.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Graphophone AG/HG??
Graphophone AG/HG??
1agraphophonea.jpg (117.19 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Serial # - 356
Front Decal - The Graphophone
Handles No
Reproducer - none yet
Lettering - Block
Additional info The machine at this point is a restorable basket case and not sure if it is an AG or HG, no ID plate. I am needing some parts to complete it. bottom bed plate, speed knob, mandrel shaft, drive gear and reproducer, crank maybe a lid in the future. Will an AT mandrel shaft and gear work?? I can make the mandrel.

Where did you get the serial number from? #356 would be a GG
Without the bed plate ID tag it could be either an HG or AG, but based on the banner city locations, New York & Paris, it probably is an early AG with nickel plated bed plate in the serial# range 2100 - ~4000

Chuck

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

The number was on the bottom of the top works casting.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

edisonphonoworks wrote:The number was on the bottom of the top works casting.
That's just a casting number.

Chuck

phono-farm
Victor O

Post by phono-farm »

I've got the dirtiest one!

Serial # - 3294
Handles - Yes
Reproducer - #4
Lettering - Block
Additional info - I just bought this today from a local couple who bought it at a sale many years ago and have had it sitting in their basement. Yes, these are still out there to be found!! What's there looks very restorable but it is missing the lid, crank, horn, and shaver, and cranking it up with an incorrect crank reveals a broken or unhooked spring. I'd really appreciate any help with finding any of these parts. Otherwise, the motor spins, the mandrel spins, the trunion slides, and the #4 reproducer just needs minor work, so it'll be cleaned up and running again hopefully this winter.
Attachments
phono-columbia-graphophone-grand2.jpg
phono-columbia-graphophone-grand1.jpg

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

phono-farm wrote:I've got the dirtiest one!

Serial # - 3294
Handles - Yes
Reproducer - #4
Lettering - Block
Additional info - I just bought this today from a local couple who bought it at a sale many years ago and have had it sitting in their basement. Yes, these are still out there to be found!! What's there looks very restorable but it is missing the lid, crank, horn, and shaver, and cranking it up with an incorrect crank reveals a broken or unhooked spring. I'd really appreciate any help with finding any of these parts. Otherwise, the motor spins, the mandrel spins, the trunion slides, and the #4 reproducer just needs minor work, so it'll be cleaned up and running again hopefully this winter.

Thanks for the information on your GG. This one makes 22 GG's in the database, this is the second one to be found in the "wild" in the past month.

I'll be posting the information acquired so far on the Grand machines shortly, just have to get a couple more added to it.

Chuck

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

ChuckA wrote:Well, for those of you who have submitted information on their Grand machines and those just interested,
here's an educated guess on the sequence of the GG, HG & AG machines.
Still need more machines to have an accurate history of the Grand machines.

Chuck

It's been awhile since starting this project and information has slowed down to a dribble. So to get some interest going again, here is the link to
the database so far:

http://www.myvintagetv.com/posts/Columbia%20Grands.pdf

Thanks to all who have forwarded their machine information so far, but more samples will be most helpful.

Chuck

PaulG
Victor O

Post by PaulG »

Chuck,

I thought I sent in the info for your survey, but I only saw the serial number for my AB (756206). I also have a AG serial number 4870. Decal: "The Graphopnone". New York, Paris, painted bed plate, and #4 reproducer.
Hope it's not too late to be added.

Paul
Attachments
image.jpeg

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

Paul

Thanks for the info on your AG. In the picture it looks like you have the larger #5 reproducer not the #4. Can you verify it for me/

Chuck